Ectocomp version

Corrupter of Dreams

by Robert Patten profile

You are a nightmare in paradise.

First Publication Date: October 29, 2017
TUID: emsro8ckttqr5ba

4th Place, La Petite Mort (English) - EctoComp 2017

Manipulating dreams for good or evil, November 6, 2017
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: melancholic
You are a parasite. You manipulate dreams ó no, you corrupt them. In this brief game, you have just one target, one dream. But although you bring corruption and fungal decay, your targetís circumstances make the decision to corrupt a bit more complex, both because the consequences of corruption are not initially clear, and you can stop the corruption at any time.

Corrupter of Dreams is succinct, but manages to establish the PCís motivation and the key dilemma early on. Without this dilemma, this would have already been an interesting game; I enjoy one-verb or limited parser games because of its limitations and the subversion of parser conventions of offering as many synonyms to make it as player-friendly as possible. But introducing a reason not to go down the obvious route made the route that much stronger.

This is a short, simple concept executed well within its contraints.

A short, thoughtful horror game about dreams, November 5, 2017
This is one of those short games that is more like enacting a ritual than solving a puzzle. You find yourself inside a dream, with an unusual purpose.

Like another game which I enjoyed in this comp, your character is more nuanced than the typical interactive fiction protagonist.

It's a speed-IF, so it's fairly short, but it's well-polished. There weren't many surprises due to the foreshadowing, but the imagery was vivid.

If you enjoyed Corrupter of Dreams...