Competition version

Aether Apeiron: The Zephyra Chronicles

by Hippodamus & Company

To understand the life of Zephyra, my Parthenos and protector, I have to take you back many years. We need to return to Kyzikos, the heavily-wooded little moon that orbits Arctonnesus, the giant cloud-covered planet, in the Propontis system. She struggled against forces both worldly and divine. She restored freedom and prosperity for her people.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
TUID: eejyjlvzj2annjq0

51st Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
It's hard to distinguish between incidental background and things that are actually important. I get the sense that the author has spent a lot of time either on the world-building or on research into ancient Greece, has layered it on more thickly than they realise, and is now too anxious to show off what they've got.

Greeky pulp with heavy structure problems, January 6, 2017
by Ruber Eaglenest
Related reviews: IF Comp 2016
Disclaimer: (Spoiler - click to show)Hi, this are the reviews I did in the the IFComp 2016. Iím Ruber Eaglenest. Co-author of The skyscraper and the scar, and entry of that year. The review is posted without edition, and need some context about how I reviewed and rated the games. So, apart of my bad English I hope to be constructive. I will point to the things I don't like of the game, but I hope to be helpful. The structure I follow is this: Title, one line review, two to five word; Mobile friendliness, overall, score phrased based on IF comp guidelines. I had back ache and so thatís why I played most games in Android mobile, I looked closely at how games behave on mobile and review and vote based on that.

Mobile friendly: not optimal, but pretty playable.

Overall: I liked the prose and lore of the game. In both aspects is a heavy piece, full of names of a developed lore based on the Greek myths. But at the same time, the prose it is deep in style with punchy phrases, humor and scenes that feel very pulpy, as if someone would make a superheroes stories based on the Greek gods, heroes and titans, with superlative details.

However, in the end, I didnít like the game at all. It has a somewhat puzzle structure where the player must find the way to pass each scene. I donít know how to name this problem, is like reading the mind author and getting the right branch. I think some branches act like actions that set a flag to win the puzzle of each scene or what. But it just donít work. A lot of twines that Iíve played and Iíll review has the same problem: they make loops with not enough variable text and knowledge of the actions and state of the world upon the player actions. So again, in Aether Aperion, the player repeats the same passages again and again, that repeats the same bunch of text. But in this game the problem is aggravated because they are a somewhat puzzle on them, so in the end, the player is lost in the tangle of nodes and connections, clicking links at random in the hope that some branch get you out that scene.

If this game will become in a series, this needs fixing, because this a bad way of doing puzzles in Twine. And that problem makes the story not enjoyable.

Score: Recommended with reservations. Is interesting and it is funny, as it has severe problems but maybe some people would overlook them and take some joy of it.

If you enjoyed Aether Apeiron: The Zephyra Chronicles...

People who like Aether Apeiron: The Zephyra Chronicles also gave high ratings to these games:

Cactus Blue Motel, by Astrid Dalmady
Somewhere between New Mexico and Arizona, three friends were driving through a barren desert of red rocks, and wide empty skies. It was the end of summer, the end of high school, the end of so many things. And then they found the Cactus...

The Game of Worlds TOURNAMENT!, by Ade
It is a long million, this. The Septem Tower, held in the Manifold by the Tagides Rings, grinds on and on - its grey walls pressing close. The only thing to look forward to is the long, cold, endless Waste. The Royderlanks in the Body,...

9:05, by Adam Cadre

This is version 5 of this page, edited by verityvirtue on 22 November 2016 at 12:41pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item