IFComp 2015 release

Second Story

by Fred Snyder

You retired from The Game six years ago. Your brother had other ideas. Now he's in big trouble with a crew that won't hesitate to kill him, and the only way to save his skin is to dust off the old tools...

First Publication Date: October 1, 2015
TUID: ecbswl2qmmyipqv

36th Place - 21st Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2015)

A homebrew parser with great interface; a catburglar story, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: IF Comp 2015
Second Story features a web-based parser that is, in my opinion, a quite nice visual improvement over several other parsers.

The story is about a catburglar who has changed their life, but has to go back to work to save their brother.

Gameplay is straightforward, taking, opening, and dropping things, but the story drives the game forward. It's fast and fun. I especially liked the twist at the end.

I recommend this game to those interested in developments in parser technology, and for those into crime-based stories (it reminded me a bit of the story of PataNoir, stripped from its mechanic).

Um?, December 2, 2015
So this is a pretty cool game, and the writing is ok, but when it came to making choices where you had to type what to do and it took me many tries to get it to work. Then finally I came to the hostess area and I couldn't figure out how to get past, it didn't give me any hits as to how. So that is when I stopped the game. Thank you develpoer for the effort, but this isn't my kinda game.

If you enjoyed Second Story...

People who like Second Story also gave high ratings to these games:

Gris et Jaune, by Jason Devlin
She wanted answers. He wanted a cure. You just wanted to live.

PataNoir, by Simon Christiansen
The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.

De Baron, by Victor Gijsbers

The following polls include votes for Second Story:

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible implementations of 2015 by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
This is for games released in 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Implementation in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here will...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by zeartless on 23 December 2015 at 8:59am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item