realm.gam

by Michael Sheldon

2004

IFID: TADS2-BFF25AD2817A56FC6DF6B210818DF5AC
TUID: eb2s3iln706x75ma

27th Place - 10th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2004)

I wasn't wild about the setting, I wasn't wild about the puzzles, and most of the writing was dismaying. I only found one bug, but it was an odd one -- I could ask myself questions and always get back the response "I don't know much about that." Those issues aside, though, the ending was very funny. It's almost worth playing the game just to see the ending... but I would rather see a better version of the game, instead -- one where the journey is just as pleasing as the destination.
-- Carolyn Magruder

The Realm feels like an old-school IF throwback. I mean, for one thing, it's about a knight on a quest to obtain the head of a dragon. It's set in the usual faux-medieval milieu -- a castle, a king, a tavern, and so forth... Still, the old school has its charms. Once you stop expecting an interesting story or a logically consistent world, The Realm can be a pleasant place to spend an hour or two.

A shortish fatasy game about giving people what they want, August 1, 2017
This game is a short fantasy game set in a castle. I thought it was building up to something bigger, but most of the game is just wandering around equipping yourself.

There were many missing synonyms, and the game implied a robust conversation system that just wasn't there.

It had one fairly funny NPC in the armorer, though.

Nice, October 31, 2007
by Nusco (Bologna, Italy)
Related reviews: IF Competition 2004
A short, light-hearted fantasy adventure about a squire on a mission to kill a dragon. The humour is not always spot-on, but a couple of clever puzzles make up for it. One of the puzzles is a bit guess-the-nounish, though.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 27 August 2013 at 9:25am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item