adaminte.zip *
hints and general information
MS-DOS Application
VMC10_073D.zip *
Contains VMC10.exe
Type CLOAD & hit ENTER then select ADVENT1.​C10 in the JimG subdirectory of the Cassette directory. Type RUN & hit ENTER.
Windows Application (Windows XP and later)
SAhints.zip *
hint sheet and map in GUEmap format
atari8gm.zip *
Sols3.zip *
Sols2.zip *
jgunness.zip *
AdamsHints.zip *
hint sheet
AdamsHints.tar.Z
hint sheet
(Compressed with the Unix-style .tar.Z "tarball" format. Free unpacking tools are available for most platforms.)
adamssol.zip *

Adventureland

by Scott Adams

Episode 1 of Scott Adams Classic Adventures
Cave crawl
1978

Wander through an enchanted realm and try to uncover the 13 lost treasures. There are wild animals and magical beings to reckon with as well as many other perils and mysteries.

WARNING! The Z-Code conversion of this game is certifiably buggy.

The TRS-80 MC-10 uses a unique multiple file method to allow it to be squeezed into a 16K machine. After loading and running the initial program (ADVENT1.C10) you will be prompted to load an additional cassette file (ADVENT2.C10).

License: Former commercial
Development System: Custom
Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
IFIDs:  ZCODE-1-961111-A7B4
ZCODE-1-941017-9C4C
TUID: dy4ok8sdlut6ddj7

A game of historical significance: originally written in TRS-80 BASIC, this was the first adventure game to be widely available on microcomputers. It's a minimalist treasure hunt set in and around a cave - an imitation of Colossal Cave, only without the prose. Good sense of freedom, somewhat eccentric design, two-word parser (except the Inform port), magic words, a maze, and a limited light source.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

Ancient History!, April 5, 2008
by Grunion Guy (Portland)
I can credit this game with my love of text adventure games. I played it when I was quite young on my Vic-20. And even though the game is sparsely detailed with a frustrating parser compared to today's games, it was quite exciting and kept me coming back to try and solve its unfair puzzles. Not really much to look at now, it might be worth checking out.

(Spoiler - click to show)The bear puzzle. Am I the only one who, even at the young age I was, solved it by becoming completely frustrated with the bear and typing screw bear? The old parser only read the first three letters of every word and the intended solution was, apparently, scream bear. So imagine my surprise when I typed Screw Bear and the response was 'The bear is so startled it falls off the ledge.' Awesome. I think it's the only game I ever had to resort to bestiality to solve a problem. Thanks Scott Adams!

The one that got me started., April 14, 2017
by H. W. Wiliams (Sweden)
I can remember when I first sat behind my C64, I was young and hooked on this game. Though it hasn't aged that well I can still sit down and play this for hours at end. If you haven't played this piece of history I say you should. It's a nice look back to what the past was like.

A great way to fit a lot of game in a small space, June 5, 2017
This was, I believe, the first commercial text adventure. Certainly the first successful one; although Adventure and Dungeon were much more descriptive, this game fit on everyone's systems.

Gargoyle can play this game if you change .dat files to .saga. Scott Adams' website has an interpreter for these games as of 2017.

This game is ultra-minimalistic, with room descriptions often empty or as short as possible. The parser takes only two words at a time; only the first three letters of each word are read.

The game is actually quite fun, especially if you're willing to spend a long time playing around with it. It achieves the 'long time'-ness by having several situations that lock you out of victory without you realizing it, and by requiring a lot of combinations of items.

Before I played it, I thought it was an Adventure rip off, but they are very, very dissimilar. It's like the way that Antz and A Bug's Life are similar, or Monster's Inc and Shrek. They are vaguely similar, but not really.

If you enjoyed Adventureland...