Play online

Abgesang: Der Tag der Toten

by L. C. Frey

»Du erwachst ohne Erinnerung in einem verlassenen Krankenhaus.
Du bis nicht allein.« Ein Interaktives Horror-Abenteuer.

Language: German (de)
First Publication Date: April 1, 2016
Development System: inklewriter
TUID: dxrh8psuetm5wrqs

1st Place - 10th IF Grand Prix 2016

A German survival horror/exploration game in Inklewriter, May 3, 2016
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This game is the best-developed inkle writer game I've seen. I tried it because it won the venerable Grand Prix competition.

This game is centered around a tightly-developed world model. You wake up in a strange white room and have to figure out where you are and what's going on.

This of course is the premise of dozens of IF games (including, most famously, Babel), but where Tag Der Toten shines is in its strong narrative voice. It's full of goofy humor, but it's clever goofy humor, essentially a conversation between the PC and theirself/the narrator through the use of the links.

I found the game very descriptive. Also, inkle writer can be easy to lawnmower in a parser-like world model, but the author has provided several surprises to keep you on your toes.

I give three caveats to my 5-star rating:
1. I love amnesia games.
2. I love German stories.
3. This game is not complete, in that the author plans on extra chapters being added later. That said, it took me about 2 hours to finish. However, I am not a native speaker.

If you enjoyed Abgesang: Der Tag der Toten...

People who like Abgesang: Der Tag der Toten also gave high ratings to these games:

The Northnorth Passage, by Caleb Wilson (as Snowball Ice)
Oh no, the old family curse has flared up! This is a short story about limits to action.

HUNTING UNICORN, by Chandler Groover
A maiden leads a unicorn hunt. Sixteen narrative variants. Choose-your-own-adventure style. Mature thematic elements.

not knowing when the dawn will come, i open every door, by Patrick Fox
A man goes home to a small town in Quebec to investigate rumours about a haunted house next door to his childhood home.

The following polls include votes for Abgesang: Der Tag der Toten:

Best German-language games by MathBrush
I'm looking for your favorite games that are written in the German language. I've added a few games I've liked.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by ifwizz on 1 April 2016 at 1:36pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item