Play online

Abgesang: Der Tag der Toten

by L. C. Frey

»Du erwachst ohne Erinnerung in einem verlassenen Krankenhaus.
Du bis nicht allein.« Ein Interaktives Horror-Abenteuer.

Language: German (de)
First Publication Date: April 1, 2016
Development System: inklewriter
TUID: dxrh8psuetm5wrqs

1st Place - 10th IF Grand Prix 2016

A German survival horror/exploration game in Inklewriter, May 3, 2016
This game is the best-developed inkle writer game I've seen. I tried it because it won the venerable Grand Prix competition.

This game is centered around a tightly-developed world model. You wake up in a strange white room and have to figure out where you are and what's going on.

This of course is the premise of dozens of IF games (including, most famously, Babel), but where Tag Der Toten shines is in its strong narrative voice. It's full of goofy humor, but it's clever goofy humor, essentially a conversation between the PC and theirself/the narrator through the use of the links.

I found the game very descriptive. Also, inkle writer can be easy to lawnmower in a parser-like world model, but the author has provided several surprises to keep you on your toes.

I give three caveats to my 5-star rating:
1. I love amnesia games.
2. I love German stories.
3. This game is not complete, in that the author plans on extra chapters being added later. That said, it took me about 2 hours to finish. However, I am not a native speaker.

If you enjoyed Abgesang: Der Tag der Toten...

People who like Abgesang: Der Tag der Toten also gave high ratings to these games:

The Paper Bag Princess, by Adri
Princess Elizabeth is about to marry the love of her life when a dragon attacks the castle and kidnaps her betrothed. Based on a book of the same name by Robert Munsch, with permission.

Mother Loose, by Irene Callaci
It's been one of those days. It started out bad and just got worse: You're seven years old and in trouble a lot. You try to be good and to do as you ought, but nothing, it seems, goes exactly as planned. For instance, today things got...

Ashes, by Glass Rat Media
Le Grand Guignol entry in ECTOCOMP 2015. Five old college friends reunite to fulfill a friend's final request. But all of them have secrets. And some have blood on their hands. Warnings for violence and implied possible sexual violence.

The following polls include votes for Abgesang: Der Tag der Toten:

Best German-language games by MathBrush
I'm looking for your favorite games that are written in the German language. I've added a few games I've liked.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by ifwizz on 1 April 2016 at 1:36pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item