Available for purchase on iTunes, Google Play and Kindle Fire app stores
Buy for Kindle Fire
Link to Amazon App Store

80 DAYS

by inkle and Meg Jayanth

1872, with a steampunk twist. Phileas Fogg has wagered he can circumnavigate the world in just eighty days.

Choose your own route around a 3D globe, travelling by airship, submarine, mechanical camel, steam-train and more, racing other players and a clock that never stops.

150 cities to explore. Detailed research and techno-fantasy combine in an 1872 of tensions, inventions and exploration. Climb the Burmese mountains, trek the Zulu Federation, sail up the Amazon and disappear under the Indian Ocean - but don't fall behind the time!

Featuring stunning art by Jaume Illustration, a half-million word script by Meg Jayanth, original music by Laurence Chapman, and built using the same inklewriter engine that powers our critically-acclaimed Sorcery! series, 80 DAYS is an interactive adventure created by your choices, on the fly, and is different every time you play.

Playing as Phileas Fogg's loyal valet, Passepartout, you must balance your master's health, your finances, and the time, as you choose your own path from city to city all the way around the world. Bribe your way onto early departures, but don't let yourself go bankrupt or you'll be sleeping rough and begging for aid! Trade items for profit, and collect the equipment for the conditions you'll face: but too much luggage will slow you down...

80 DAYS is a breakneck race, with an in-game clock that never stops running. Trains, steamers, hot-air balloons, boats, camels, horses and more leave and arrive minute by minute.

Every city and journey is narrated via an interactive story where you control every action. Will your choices speed you up - or lead you into disaster? Will you earn Fogg's trust and respect? Will you uncover the secrets and short-cuts that can shave days off your time? Murder, romance, rebellion and intrigue await!

The app is network-connected, with a live feed that shows you the position of all the other players of the game, their routes, triumphs and disasters. You can race to be the fastest - or look ahead to learn the secrets of the world.

Share your own journey with friends, and load other's routes directly into your app so you can race head-to-head.

First Publication Date: July 31, 2014
License: Commercial
Development System: inklewriter
TUID: du51t0qrhjqlnbij

Winner, Best Game; Winner, Best Story; Nominee, Best Setting; Nominee, Best NPCs; Winner, Best Use of Multimedia - 2014 XYZZY Awards

13th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time (2015 edition)

The Telegraph

This brilliant interactive novel re-imagines Phileas Fogg's journey around the world with you as loyal valet Passepartout. Phill Cameron says it is one of the finest examples of branching narrative yet created.

An extensive, map-based CYOA game with an enormous amount of polished content, April 6, 2016
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
In this commercial game, you are trying to get around the world in 80 Days with Phineas Fogg. It is ostensibly based on the novel, although I haven't read it yet.

This game employs a beautiful map used to select various routes across the world, and has nice, mostly static visuals representing your conveyance, the city you're in, and various NPCs as well as the player and his luggage. However, this game is very much CYOA in beautiful packaging rather than just a text-heavy graphical game.

The usual pattern of the game is that you start each day in your current city with some funds and the chance to get more funds, buy some luggage, sell old luggage, or explore. You then pick a route to travel onto the next city, which may or may not require waiting a few hours or days for.

Each route can cost between a few dozen pounds to 7000 or more pounds. Faster routes generally cost more. Along each route, various events happen such as mutinies, romance, murders, etc. which you have to deal with. Your choices affect what city you are in, how fast you get there, NPC reactions, your amount of money, Phineas' health, and extremely poor choices can lead to death.

The setting is steampunk, a genre which I am on the fence about. Among steampunk games, the writing is very good. Some highlights for me were Haiti (Spoiler - click to show)with organic automata, Agra (Spoiler - click to show)A city that walks on four legs, with the Taj Mahal on top, and Salt Lake City, which provided my first glimpse at an interactive fiction treatment of Mormons, my religion. On their treatment of Mormons, I was pleased to see that they treated it fairly kindly, with any negative reactions being those typical of the day. This is typical of the whole game, in that it seems remarkably well-researched (although never perfectly) for its scope.

I found the game somewhat tedious at times, especially on multiple replays. I frequently found myself skipping filler text or repeatedly tapping on the clock. However, on playthroughs where I focused on exploration over time, I had an enjoyable experience.

Overall, I strongly recommend this game for anyone without a distaste for steampunk. I know several people who would love this game if it had a more realistic flavor. But the steampunk setting allows any historical inaccuracies to be waved away, and provides for some fun pictures, so it's a trade-off.

Still good after the 5th--and 15th--playthrough, November 30, 2016
This steampunk retelling of the classic Around the World in 80 Days is one of my favorite pieces of interactive fiction of all time, so much so that I almost feel it's unfair to other interactive fiction.

It's a commercial work, and worth twice what I paid for it. The polish shows: gorgeous visuals, an easy interface, and a beautiful soundtrack accompany the elegant prose.

Characters are fascinating and engaging: I wish I could abandon the main storyline to just travel with some of the many memorable people I meet, but alas, as a simple valet, I must follow my master on his quest!

I can't recommend this one highly enough. It's a brilliant mix of historical fiction with contemporary values and quality writing, and the entire package together is well-worth the price of admission.

If you enjoyed 80 DAYS...

Other members recommend these games for people who like 80 DAYS, or gave both high ratings:

Out There, by FibreTigre
Out There is an award-winning space exploration game blending roguelike, resource management and interactive fiction....

Threediopolis, by Andrew Schultz
A wordplay/quasi-maze game.

One Week, by Papillon

80 DAYS appears in the following Recommended Lists:

IFDB Top 100 by Pegbiter

The following polls include votes for 80 DAYS:

Games about travel by penguincascadia
This list is for games either about travel or with travel as a major part of the plot or background. Stuff like being able to choose where you go from a relatively wide range of destinations, road trips, exploring a city or region as a...

Canonicity and IF by juliaofbath
I'm interested in determining whether or not a clear canon has emerged within the world of IF/hypertext. Of course, there is a clear critical opinion regarding which works belong to this tentative canon, but I'm interested in what...

For Your Consideration: Games from 2014 that should be nominated for the XYZZY Awards by Molly
There were a lot of great games released in the past year, and now that the XYZZYs are coming up, it seems like a very good idea to take a poll of all the games from last year people would like to see nominated. The management has asked...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Simon Christiansen on 14 April 2015 at 11:23am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item