MINUTEMAN

by nebulaictoaster

Go to the game's main page

A short, tense game about nuclear-era relics, January 22, 2018
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: choleric
Youíre exploring a nuclear shelter - alone - on a dare. Itís not entirely clear what era this is set in, but itís almost unnecessary, partly because the threat of powerful men doing rash things is ever present, partly because I suspect that was the intention - what matters is that nuclear shelters are a thing of the past, decommissioned, relics, ancientÖ but safe? Are they safe?

Itís hard to describe this without spoiling it, because the twist is one of the main things that holds this game together. Cutting out the spoilers makes it a very short piece of text, so Iíd say you could safely go off, play it - itís not long - and come back. Iíll wait. Minuteman is a bit of a mood piece, a piece of dynamic fiction, because of its linearity. It is more a relived memory than an adventure. I couldnít quite follow the logic of the thing, but I certainly caught the mood, and its brevity gives it the intensity of a fever dream.

(Spoiler - click to show)By your actions - born of ignorance, but that is no excuse - you doom a whole town. You never see the havoc you wreak directly, but only ever observe it from a position of relative safety, which adds to the feeling of feverish detachment - like those dreams where you see disaster coming, but cannot move a muscle, cannot say a word. Text effects transform the piece from passive interaction with a static, dead place to one bristling with imminent threat, and while I donít usually appreciate Harloweís default text effects, here I imagined them as different voices in a spoken performance.