Latest Version
by David Welbourn

Darkiss! Wrath of the Vampire - Chapter 2: Journey to Hell

by Marco Vallarino

Episode 2 of Darkiss

Ovranilla: a gloomy land full of traps. And wicked monsters. Carmilla, Millarca and Mircalla: the priestesses of the god Valmar, waiting for you in the devil's hole. Welcome back, Martin Voigt. Will hell be bad enough to stop you?

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
License: Creative Commons
TUID: ddteat6razxljsz4

English translation of Darkiss! Il bacio del vampiro - Capitolo 2: viaggio all'inferno, by Marco Vallarino

17th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
The writing ... yes, it's effusive in a manner that I'm coming to think of as the Italian style: big gestures, and everything is just a bit overstated. It's a translated work, of course, so some oddness is to be expected; but to be honest, I think I forgot about that after a bit. Thinking back, no word choice jumps out at me as particularly egregious, though I'm sure I came across a couple. It's really the tone and style that strike me the most.

An entertaining, traditional puzzle game, October 10, 2016
Darkiss! Chapter 2 is a short game, it is not really innovative, and there is only little NPC interaction. But that's about all what is negative about it! On the plus side are a fun main character, simple but entertaining and well integrated puzzles, and a good help system, which prevents the frustration of being on the right track but not knowing how to tell the parser.

You play as a very powerful and evil Vampire trying to find the secret of surviving sunlight in a Dante inspired version of hell. The puzzles mostly revolve around using the right item in the right place, or employing your Vampire powers (mostly shape changing).

The writing is apparently translated from Italian, but I found no problems with it - in fact, I found it very compelling (I am not a native English speaker myself, though).

Recommended to anyone looking for traditional, albeit not very challenging, text adventure entertainment.

A hell-based vampire story with powers and some gore, September 28, 2017
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This game casts you as the vampire Martin Voigt, travelling through a hellish landscape to retrieve three talismans of power and find the three priestesses who can help him.

The setting is imaginative and well-defined. Generally, each room contains a challenge, which at first can be solved with a basic power, and later requires you to fetch items from the other parts of the (small) map.

It was a bit gorey and not for young children. Some of the interactivity was off, in the sense that actions were underclued. But the overall level of polish was high.

If you enjoyed Darkiss! Wrath of the Vampire - Chapter 2: Journey to Hell...

People who like Darkiss! Wrath of the Vampire - Chapter 2: Journey to Hell also gave high ratings to these games:

Life On Mars?, by Hugo Labrande
The first mission to colonize Mars ended with a horrible shuttle crash, and it's a miracle you're still alive... Now you just have to wait until the second shuttle gets here. Five more months...

Captain Verdeterre's Plunder, by Ryan Veeder
You should carry the bag. I'm more of a delegator.

The Life (and Deaths) of Doctor M, by Michael D. Hilborn
Your vision clears as you gently land in an endless landscape. There is the wind, a bleak and chill thing. And there is your sense of uncertainty: You don't know which way to go. Or, maybe, which way you went.

The following polls include votes for Darkiss! Wrath of the Vampire - Chapter 2: Journey to Hell:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible NPCs of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best NPCs in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here will...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Puzzles of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best Puzzles in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible individual PCs of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best Individual PC in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned...

This is version 7 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 27 July 2017 at 12:27pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item