Latest Version
by David Welbourn

Darkiss! Wrath of the Vampire - Chapter 2: Journey to Hell

by Marco Vallarino

Episode 2 of Darkiss

Ovranilla: a gloomy land full of traps. And wicked monsters. Carmilla, Millarca and Mircalla: the priestesses of the god Valmar, waiting for you in the devil's hole. Welcome back, Martin Voigt. Will hell be bad enough to stop you?

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
License: Creative Commons
TUID: ddteat6razxljsz4

English translation of Darkiss! Il bacio del vampiro - Capitolo 2: viaggio all'inferno, by Marco Vallarino

17th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
The writing ... yes, it's effusive in a manner that I'm coming to think of as the Italian style: big gestures, and everything is just a bit overstated. It's a translated work, of course, so some oddness is to be expected; but to be honest, I think I forgot about that after a bit. Thinking back, no word choice jumps out at me as particularly egregious, though I'm sure I came across a couple. It's really the tone and style that strike me the most.

An entertaining, traditional puzzle game, October 10, 2016
Darkiss! Chapter 2 is a short game, it is not really innovative, and there is only little NPC interaction. But that's about all what is negative about it! On the plus side are a fun main character, simple but entertaining and well integrated puzzles, and a good help system, which prevents the frustration of being on the right track but not knowing how to tell the parser.

You play as a very powerful and evil Vampire trying to find the secret of surviving sunlight in a Dante inspired version of hell. The puzzles mostly revolve around using the right item in the right place, or employing your Vampire powers (mostly shape changing).

The writing is apparently translated from Italian, but I found no problems with it - in fact, I found it very compelling (I am not a native English speaker myself, though).

Recommended to anyone looking for traditional, albeit not very challenging, text adventure entertainment.

A hell-based vampire story with powers and some gore, September 28, 2017
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This game casts you as the vampire Martin Voigt, travelling through a hellish landscape to retrieve three talismans of power and find the three priestesses who can help him.

The setting is imaginative and well-defined. Generally, each room contains a challenge, which at first can be solved with a basic power, and later requires you to fetch items from the other parts of the (small) map.

It was a bit gorey and not for young children. Some of the interactivity was off, in the sense that actions were underclued. But the overall level of polish was high.

If you enjoyed Darkiss! Wrath of the Vampire - Chapter 2: Journey to Hell...

People who like Darkiss! Wrath of the Vampire - Chapter 2: Journey to Hell also gave high ratings to these games:

The Owl Consults, by Thomas Mack, Nick Mathewson, and Cidney Hamilton
Once you've established yourself as the ruler of the crime world (and, eventually, the literal world), the only challenge left is helping out the next generation of supervillains---for a suitable fee, of course.

The Beetmonger's Journal, by Scott Starkey
"Victor Lapot and I were miles from base camp on the south continent, once again hacking through previously unsurveyed lands and searching for forgotten cultures. The expedition reminded me of our grand adventures of old, that is, if I...

Ultimate Quest, by Emily Short
You've been kidnapped, confused, and trapped in a factory to do labor far beneath your true level. The friends you once knew think you're dead, if they think about you at all. But you're equipped with NV-level nanomite implants, meaning...

The following polls include votes for Darkiss! Wrath of the Vampire - Chapter 2: Journey to Hell:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible individual PCs of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best Individual PC in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned...

Maintained Hall of Fame / High score list by Denk
Maintained Hall of Fame or high score list is a great idea. Let's list those games where a maintained hall of fame/high score list is accessible, either within the game or online.

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible NPCs of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best NPCs in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here will...

This is version 7 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 27 July 2017 at 12:27pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item