IFComp 2015 release

by A. DeNiro profile

You ran from the Z-Mules but they caught you. Took what little you had. Now you're their prisoner. At some point you have to log off. But maybe not quite yet. You'll see.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2015
TUID: d6ywhi6b4ystcmey

28th Place - 21st Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2015)

flawed but gripping speculations upon gaming legacy, October 2, 2016
by namekuseijin (anywhere but home)
This felt more like plain reading a short story than playing a game, which is ironic given its subject matter. Which is a meditative and imaginative speculation about emergent narratives and behaviour in games eventually evolving into something else.

Pacing doesn't help either, as the protagonist stumbles upon new characters in a hurry and seems to care too much about them by the end. Despite that and the lack of true agency, I kept going just to read more.

At first, it seemed just a cheap shot at the traditional parser-based community, but it delved deeper than that and thus was quite satisfying.

not IF proper, but fine short story, 3 stars in my book. got ending 2

Mid-length Twine game about identity and fate, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: IF Comp 2015
Unbeknown is one of those games that is hard to discuss without spoiling it. It is mostly a sci-fi game, mid-length, with two significant endings. It was created for IFComp 2015.

Alan De Niro has produced some incredible writing before, with Solarium and Deadline Enchanter being my favorites. So I entered into this game with high hopes.

However, it draws most of its imagery and setting from a place that I don't really identify with:(Spoiler - click to show)an MMORPG, a genre I tried one summer, but didn't really get into. This impacts my experience, but will probably enhance the game for those with more familiarity with that area.

The game offered a couple of choices that were especially interesting, and which were the highlights of the game to me: (Spoiler - click to show)the choice of name was especially significant to me; I chose the love interest's name once, and I let Able name me once, too. The other big choice is whether the past keeps up with you or not.

Overall, something didn't click for me, keeping this game from being perfect. But it is a good game, and I still recommend it to everyone.

If you enjoyed Unbeknown...

People who like Unbeknown also gave high ratings to these games:

A Bear's Night Out, by David Dyte
"Tomorrow is the big Teddy Bear party, and you must definitely not let your owner forget about it..." [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

The Baker of Shireton, by Hanon Ondricek
You are the Baker of Shireton. The bread you bake is delicious. Raiders are coming.

Adventurer's Consumer Guide, by Řyvind Thorsby

The following polls include votes for Unbeknown:

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible settings of 2015 by verityvirtue
This is for suggesting settings from games released 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Setting in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Jason McIntosh on 16 November 2015 at 9:14am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item