The Cradle of Eve

by Kitty Horrorshow

License: Free
TUID: ctkwlgnjwbwk9it

Standard SF, but very well done, December 15, 2013
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
You are part of a crew of four investigating a 32 year old derelict space ship. To say that standard space exploration horror tropes ensue is sort of accurate, but not in a bad way. It's a bit Event Horizon, but this is not a story about bloody alien/demonic rampage, although violence does occur.

Instead, it's a personal narrative that plays with agency. It's more of a game than the last few Twine stories I've reviewed, giving you choices at the story level instead of the "turn right at this hallway" level, which works very well. The story can play out at least three different ways, although with the same general outcome, but each one is surprisingly different and provides a smidgin more information about what's going on.

Lots of imagery is very well-written. I especially liked the description of the sense of infinite emptiness crossing from one ship to the other, and a description of weightlessness evokes spectacular imagery in the mind.

Originally I thought there was no denouement, until I tried one of the separate paths at the main fork. It is here that the story changes. I initially believed this was a false choice and would have the story end the same way, but although what happens is the same, there are three slightly different how paths here.

I liked The Cradle of Eve a lot. It has a very sure sense of its world, and changes the endgame of the story completely depending on your choice, although there's no way to change the outcome that I actually found. On first play I thought I had the whole story, and only playing the other two branches did I get the information that I actually wanted -(Spoiler - click to show)regarding what the entity in the seed actually wants to happen- but I still wish it was made clear whether -(Spoiler - click to show)is the seed using you opportunistically, or does it care about you? Apparently it's probed your memories and use them to its advantage, so I'm curious if the seed is actually malevolent or just doing what it needs to do to get planted.

Definitely play through if you get a chance.

If you enjoyed The Cradle of Eve...

People who like The Cradle of Eve also gave high ratings to these games:

Exhibition, by Ian Finley
"The Hartman Gallery extends their invitation to an exhibition of Anatoly Domokov's "American Paintings." Who draws the line between art and life? HTML enhanced." [--blurb from Competition '99]

Midnight. Swordfight., by Chandler Groover
A fool receives a challenge from a countess. Violence. Sex. Profanity. Sausage.

The Temple of No, by Dominik Johann, William Pugh, Crows Crows Crows
The Best Game Ever Made (but in twine form). Author website - http://crowscrowscrows.com/ Hey! We’re a new studio directed by William Pugh (Designer behind The Stanley Parable) creating experimental things. The co-conspirators are...

The following polls include votes for The Cradle of Eve:

im looking for a good horror game by nick love
I'm looking for something with a creepy environment. It also has to be very challenging.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Leon Arnott on 15 December 2013 at 2:08am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item