futzmutz.gam
Walkthrough

Futz Mutz

by Tim Simmons

2000

"It's Saturday and you're nine years old. NO SCHOOL! You have the whole day to yourself! And to top things off, it's your birthday too! You're just starting to wake up as you roll over onto your back and stretch.

You look out through your window and see cars and people passing by upside down. Not too unusual since you're lying on your back. Still, something is different. You look down and realize that you have been sleeping on a thick bed of shredded newspaper! You look down at your body.

The realization quickly dawns on you - you are a dog!" [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Current Version: Release 1
IFID: TADS2-9EA4A27C6BD20A3A5B1ACBBFCDF1AE2D
TUID: cknpksw5jcm1v2bw

25th Place - 6th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2000)

You've somehow been turned into a dog and hauled off to a pet store, and you're trying to get back home. Reasonably well implemented, with fairly presentable multimedia, but lots of attitude--including some tasteless slaps at other IF authors--and a generally juvenile sense of humor. There are some reasonably good puzzles, though, and the writing is competent.

-- Duncan Stevens

You are a dog and the game commences with you in a cage in a pet shop. I though the writing was quite humorous, especially the description of the pet shop owner who is "calorically challenged." I must remember that one! I loved it when you type bark and you actually hear it. The author thanked his dog for providing the sound effect.
-- Dorothy Millard

For my first 45 minutes of playing Futz Mutz, I thought it was delightful...

Then, about five minutes later, something else happened. This was less like a splash of cold water and more like a kick in the teeth. I won't reprint it here -- it was a personal insult to Suzanne Britton, basically calling her a whore in a couple of different ways. Now look, Suzanne is a friend of mine, so I got very, very angry when I saw this. But even if she wasn't a friend, I'd think that this is way, way out of line...

I tried to continue playing, but my heart wasn't in it anymore. So I turned to the walkthrough and finished the game. Then it was rating time... Should I abstain from rating it at all on the grounds that because I had such a strong emotional response to it, I'm not fit to judge it? Hell no, I decided. I'm going to rate it exactly the same way as I have all the other comp games: based on how much I enjoyed the overall experience. Then I'll write a review telling just what I thought of it, exactly as I have for the other comp games. And that's what I did.

A game about being transformed into a dog, July 10, 2017
In this game, you are a 9 yr old turned into a dog.

Much of the game revolves around acquiring coupons for a dog salon, to transform yourself. It uses graphics extensively.

The game would generally be fun, with a tight map and interesting puzzles, but it has so many puzzles requiring waiting for a long time, and it has a lot of underground bad feelings for women, non-white american peoples, and the aged. It also has a direct attack on a former IF author which is essentially vicious.

If you enjoyed Futz Mutz...