Competition Version

Tentaculon

by Ned Vole

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
TUID: c1a2j098awdbesl

32nd Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
All right. There's stuff going on, and the story quickly takes a turn into cosmic horror and X-Files conspiracy, and just as quickly ... we're done. Whoa. I am not sure I understand fully everything that happened or what I just did, but that's the story and I think I actually found it kind of charming. It's the "you are a squid" line, I think, even if the last iteration seems potentially sinister. And how the initial research ties into the final denouement.

A fun little romp, October 4, 2016
by Cav
I'm pretty new to IF but I had a fun time with this game. It's relatively quick to play and solvable without too much brain-wracking.There are a couple of small bugs, but the writing is great and gently humorous. Overall this game really tickled me.

A mid-length twine game with sci-fi labs, graphics, text effects, world model, May 9, 2017
This is actually a pretty good game, but just a bit odd. You are a squid.... sometimes, in a development that reminds me of the old game Delusions, although I'm sure the resemblance is a coincidence.

The game has a nice world model, with different locations and the ability to take and use objects. There are some fun graphics and cool timers and text effects.

It's a bit odd that you have to undo at times to move around the game, and there was an occasional typo (I saw the word maintenance room with two brackets after it), but overall it was a fun game.

Octopus's garden, October 25, 2016
by Owlor (Sweden)
Tentaculon hasn't really done a good job advertising itself in the comp, but it is worth playing. It has an interesting, if sly tone, though I admit I would've liked playing the entire game as an octopus.

If you enjoyed Tentaculon...

People who like Tentaculon also gave high ratings to these games:

Rogue of the Multiverse, by C.E.J. Pacian
Congratulations, convict 76954! You have been selected for scientific experimentation! You will be matter-transmitted to exotic non-Treaty worlds - where opportunities abound to take in fantastic sights and mingle with colourful locals!

Fallacy of Dawn, by Robb Sherwin
In a world that never quite got over the '80s, Delarion Yar dispenses quarters for the local arcade... badly. A software pirate from better days, he's crossed the wrong people one too many times. Locked into the city of New Haz with a...

All Roads, by Jon Ingold
"Wave a circle round him thrice, And close your eyes with holy dread For he on honey-dew hath fed And drunk the milk of paradise." [--blurb from Competition Aught-One]

The following polls include votes for Tentaculon:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible individual PCs of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best Individual PC in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 22 November 2016 at 1:55pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item