Inheritance

by rosencrantz profile

If you inherited a ring and discovered that it made invisible portals turn visible, would you walk through? Yulia would.

Tiny exploration of a portal concept, with multiple endings. Originally written for a challenge on Twinery.org: no more than 15 passages, and no more than 1000 words.

Portal concept is from a collaborative writing project that can be found at Shared Epic.

First Publication Date: March 9, 2014
License: Creative Commons
TUID: byq168qxxaxc7bve

A Fine Speculative Game, April 2, 2014
First let me preface this by saying I am brand new to interactive fiction, and this was one of the first games I came across. My experience/exposure isn't very wide at the moment.

Still, I love playing Inheritance. Though the premise is straightforward, I've played through it about four times now, and each time I still experience a feeling of wonder and surprise—I have turned up a few more surprises even after I thought I exhausted the choices available to me and visited all the portals.

The writing is spare but incredibly evocative, which suits the story very well, as there's urgency underlying the story—Yulia is driven through one portal after another and only snatches at quick glimpses of her surroundings.

An incredibly delightful and speculative game!

If you enjoyed Inheritance...