Version 2.​0
IFBeginnersComp entries
Contains TADS3/Princess/TheSleepingPrincess.t3
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 3 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Story File (Web UI version)
Version 2.​0
Play on the Internet with a browser, or download for use with a TADS Web UI-compatible interpreter - visit www.tads.org for interpreter downloads.

The Sleeping Princess

by Molly Engelberg, Alex Engelberg, and Mark Engelberg

Children's/Fantasy
2008

You are a pageboy, well, actually you're more like a janitor. Can you wake the sleeping princess?

An entry in the IFBeginnersComp.

Language: English (en-US)
First Publication Date: February 16, 2008
License: Creative Commons
IFID: B8819F16-4A35-D64F-A521-6423A2E4858E
TUID: bxio01ferbyxr4rk

Emily Short's Interactive Storytelling
Overall, there was nothing about this that Iíll likely remember a month from now, but it wasnít unpleasant, either. Itís also considerably better than the IF I tried to write when I was a kid.

10 year olds review The Sleeping Princess, October 18, 2008
by msousa (Massachusetts)
It was a very interesting game. We finished it in an hour though. I liked that in this game you had to be precise. I also liked the (Spoiler - click to show)spell Abracadabra Kalamazoo. The princess room was pretty in PINK. It was cool how you had to (Spoiler - click to show)jump on the sofa to get out of the secret room. This game is awesome for beginners!

I like that the man in the gym made you (Spoiler - click to show)eat the mushrooms! The journal that the (Spoiler - click to show)witch wrote was fantastic. (Spoiler - click to show)Washing the floor to reveal the trap door was an awesome idea.

Liza & Raquel
Age 10

Great for Beginners!, June 7, 2011
This game is both fun and easy. My brother is five years old, and I wanted to show him how to play text adventures! He was starting to get bored, but then (Spoiler - click to show) we found the trapdoor, and he said " I'm not bored anymore!" I would definitely recommend this to beginners! This is a very fun game, and is one of my " Warm-Up" games!

Fun Little Game, December 3, 2013
by Sharpe (Playing Kerkerkruip, the IF Roguelike)
If The Sleeping Princess was written by a child, it was a child with an A-level high school writing ability at least.

The story progresses logically and there are no sudden deaths or tasks that require clairvoyance to complete. This is actually the first IF I've ever completed all the way through. I did it in about twenty minutes between classes at schoolócollege, not high school. ;) It was really fun and simple, not some punishing experience that frustrated me enough to quit. I stuck with it and was glad I did.

There was only one thing that confused me. The first hallway in the game, it goes south. When the player first enters, it's not explicitly stated that the player can go further south, though it does tell the player they're in the north end of the hall, so it can be inferred; I just didn't. I thought the only ways to go was back into the starting room or into the boarded-up room, which cannot be entered at first. So, I burned a hint there, but it didn't help. Thankfully, I accidentally tried to go south and it allowed me to do so.

Other than that, I'd have liked a more lengthy ending. More fanfare. More about what happens after waking the princess. More "happily ever after." However, that's not a big complaint; the story wraps up nicely leaving little to be imagined.

Two thumbs up!

óRichard Sharpe

If you enjoyed The Sleeping Princess...