Niney

by Daniel Spitz

Explore the nature of relationships and identity on a weird train.

Author's Comment: "We all ask ourselves, "Who am I?" One of the ways we try to answer this question is by examining the effects we have on other people. We look at our social interactions, our relationships, to assure ourselves that we are smart, we are good, we are loved. What if these fleeting interactions were all we had? Who would that make us? What would we make of ourselves?

I'm interested in using the parser in less corporeal ways. Language is this rich thing that can tersely express notions that no other medium can. Aspects of the mind, intentions, metaphors. Niney is my first IF, and my first attempt at exploring this territory of possibilities. It's idiosyncratic, rough around the edges, a bit repetitive, but I'm proud of it. I think it introduces an interesting parser-based mechanic, and does its best to develop that and show what it can do."

First Publication Date: April 7, 2017
TUID: bneu56edziv34622

Co-Winner, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2017

An intriguing game based on becoming different roles, May 11, 2017
You play a character on a train who assumes different personas or identities over a period of several days. You eXamine different people, and discover new identities, then BE them for different people.

It's a philosophical sort of game. I found it to be a bit lawnmowery (you spend a lot of time just trying each persona on each passenger), but I found it enjoyable. The 'seducing' personas I didn't really like.

The ending was interesting, but like many others, I found it confusing.

If you enjoyed Niney...

People who like Niney also gave high ratings to these games:

Moon-Shaped, by Jason Ermer

stone, by Penny Stirling
Can calcific amatonormativity be cured? An aromantic student struggles with stone and friendship.

Gamlet, by Tomasz Pudlo

Niney appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Surreal games on trains by MathBrush
There is an unusually large amount of surreal games on trains (maybe from the Dark Tower?). Here are the ones I can find.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by CMG on 8 April 2017 at 11:03am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item