infil3.exe
fixed competition release
MS-DOS Application
infil2.exe
original competition release (buggy)
MS-DOS Application
update.txt
Announcement of bug fix
page3.jpg
page2.jpg
readme.txt
Author's notes (extended story of rediscovering game written in 1982, entirely fictional)
back.jpg
cover.jpg

Infil-traitor

by Chris Charla

Espionage
2000

"This is a vintage 1981, never released, adventure game. Check out the read me for more info. Take a trip back in time with Infil-Traitor! (Note: this should take you about 20 minutes to complete.) An exe for PC is included, as is a Mac file that runs on the freeware Chipmunk BASIC (http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/basic/) and source code for C64 and Apple II." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Current Version: Release 2
Development System: BASIC
TUID: bjk2bpymx3h76ewn

48th Place - 6th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2000)

This game is a mystification of sorts: its author passed it off as a text adventure from the early 1980-s he'd found in a shop by accident. This probably predestined the choice of the game's main theme - you're a CIA agent who has got to steal some secret plans from the Soviets. The game parser seems weak even by the standards of those old times; it's a very limited, two-word one, and doesn't support system commands like SAVE, RESTORE, UNDO (heck, even RESTART and QUIT aren't recognized!) Combined with a time limit, and only occasional mentioning of available exits in room descriptions (this annoying characteristic is diminished somewhat, because Infil-traitor is only aware of the 4 cardinal directions), this almost inevitably provides for a few (and with less clever players like myself for QUITE a few) program terminations, which accompany the PC's death in this work of IF. The puzzles are trivial for the most part (there has been one puzzle I've found enjoyable, but I suspect it only has impressed me by contrast to other puzzles therein). On the positive side, Infil-traitor featured some wonderfully rude jokes that made it worth playing for me (I'm fond of black humour), and earned the game's rating an extra star.

-- Valentine Kopteltsev

I was pleasantly surprised at finding this piece of nostalgia so far down the list of games. Don't be put off by its poor rating in the competition, this is a must play for text adventure enthusiasts.
-- Dorothy Millard

Infil-traitor on IFDB

The following polls include votes for Infil-traitor:

Once More, With Feelies by Ghalev
I'm polling to learn of modern (post-commercial-era) IF that revels in the tradition of providing additional documentation & related materials which are evocative and deepen your enjoyment of the game. What games have gone that extra...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 25 March 2013 at 5:44am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item