SpeedIF19.zip
Contains angelcurse.z5
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

The Angel Curse

by David Welbourn profile

2003

Neither the girl in the wheelchair nor the angel pendant she wears are quite what they seem to be. Written for Speed-IF 19.

Baf's Guide ID: 2075
IFID: ZCODE-1-030112-8FBF
TUID: ad33fom6nxqqvfa3

Emo goes wacky, April 20, 2014
One of David Welbourn's very early games, this is a quickly coded speed IF. Go in realizing it's a speed and just have fun with it. It starts out dour and emo and you think it won't be fun and then it surprises you and you're clapping your hands the way you do with delightfully unexpected wacky IF. (If that is a thing you clap your hands for, as I do.)

The one and only hint I shall give you (and this isn't a spoiler) is that this isn't a one room game. Once I figured that out, things went pretty swiftly.

Interesting but Flawed, August 2, 2009
The premise of The Angel Curse is an intriguing one, and the first half of the game is well done, if a little buggy. The writing flows naturally and sets a dark and slightly depressing tone, and pulled me in very effectively.
Unfortunately, the second bit of the game has several problems; the tone of the writing changes from dark to somewhat silly, the ending feels very rushed (I'm at a point where I feel I'm about to make an important discovery, but instead of showing me something new and spooky, the game suddenly ends), and the ending puzzle is not clued at all - you'll probably end up either finding a walkthrough or just trying out random actions for the heck of it.
I realize SpeedIF is bound to have problems, but I don't think it would have taken that much work to fix this game up into an excellent little piece. As it is, it is worth a try for the striking beginning.

This is version 8 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 17 November 2008 at 5:23pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item