Android APK
Defaults - All Systems Installer

Cat Scratch

by Allyn (Yilling) Chen, Hannah Turner, Laura Weber, Shirley Park, Will Hagen, Chris Klug, and Scott Stevens

Children's

The mission of Cat Scratch is to translate a chapter book from print to digital tablet. Cat Scratch will explore the ways using a tablet could benefit storytelling, without breaking the immersive experience of reading. Collaborating with the Carnegie Mellon Department of English, the team will design and test our hypotheses about the exploring how features like structure, style, illustration and sound in a digital format can be used to support a story most effectively.

It is an Android app, designed to be run an newer tablets. Specifically, it was tested for the Kindle Fire, though should work on tablets or phone with similar specs. This app does use sound, though while not strictly required to play, greatly enhances the experience. It can run offline perfectly fine.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2015
Development System: Unity
TUID: aa0dqi15ibm6ny0e

47th Place - 21st Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2015)

An augmented story book with graphics, animation and sound, September 28, 2017
This is a small chapter book with a story about a cat.

It is well-written, with no typos that I saw. It incorporates animations that respond to screen touches and (I think) accelerometers. It also includes sound.

This type of augmented story is not something that has traditionally been entered into the IFComp, although I could see a day when things become more common. For me, though, I found it uncomplying emotionally, and the interactivity that was available was not exciting.

Cat Scratch on IFDB

The following polls include votes for Cat Scratch:

Child-friendly CYOA (or other interface that's not traditional parser) by blue/green
Most of the games I see on the "appropriate for children" lists are pure parser IF. Are there kid friendly games that have a more accessible interface? CYOA, hyperlink, hybrid parser--any interface that offers some help in figuring out...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 5 April 2016 at 2:36pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item