prodly.z5

2000

Current Version: Release 1
IFID: ZCODE-1-000921-B154
TUID: a70sbudzo8496l1x

35th Place - 6th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2000)

A work spoofing a not too widely known parody on a cartoon that "has long faded into obscurity". In spite of its second-hand (or, rather, third-hand) nature, Prodly the Puffin is a fairly solidly done game. One of its memorable characteristics is the intense use of cartoon logic, though, again, it certainly isn't the first game that does this kind of thing. Considering that it's quite short, and thus won't take too much of your time, you probably should give it a try; just don't be too exigent.

-- Valentine Kopteltsev

I'd urge anyone who wants to play this game but hasn't done so yet to check out the [Pokey The Penguin web site at http://www.yellow5.com/pokey/] before playing. It's not that they'll give you a fighting chance of understanding what's going on, because understanding what's going on is not what Prodly (the game) is about. It's more of an attempt to capture the completely bizarre style of Pokey, its careening plots and desperate lack of quality. How successful it is I'm not sure, because I played the game before I knew anything about the web comic, and therefore experienced it all without being able to understand its point. Because of this circumstance, I didn't have much fun. The whole thing just kind of went past me, capital letters, outrageous violence, and all. Since I rate the games based on how much fun I had experiencing them, Prodly unfortunately can't rate very highly. However, I am grateful to it. It pointed me to Pokey, and Pokey has been cracking me up all day.

>SAY "PARODLY IS THE SINCEREST FORM OF FLATTERY"
I dutifully avoided asking myself about anything because that led to the stupidity that I fail to see any humor in. The rest of it was mildly amusing and surreal, along the lines of "Stupid Kittens", with a few great touches: the mysterious hovering beak, and the one bit that made me laugh out loud, the "bug in the menu system" bit.

-- Sean T Barrett

[...] a simple bizarre fun game which includes things like making a snowman.

-- Dorothy Millard

If you enjoyed Prodly the Puffin...