Deadline Enchanter

- LynXsh, November 29, 2016

- branewurms, July 6, 2016

- E. W. B., February 23, 2016

Great Concept, February 19, 2016

by penguincascadia (Puget Sound)
The idea of a game being used as (Spoiler - click to show)a lure and training tool to get people to help you in your cause is a great one. A lot of people have complained about non-implemented objects in the game, but the game is supposed to be that way as a rough product meant to be pushed out quickly within the world of the game (to avoid any spoilers, phasing this very vaguely.) What would be great is making all the default responses fit in the world of the game. I understand that the author was working on doing this for a second release of the game, but sadly it looks like that has fallen to the wayside as he pursues other projects. Hopefully he will take it up again some day!

A parser experiment in constraint, surrealness, and linear stoytelling, February 3, 2016
Deadline Enchanter was one of the first IF games I played, 5 years ago. I remember that it's bizarre atmosphere and self-awareness really attracted me to IF in general because it showed me what was possible.

You play someone in a magical city that has appeared in Detroit. You've been given a message from the Folk, a magical race, and the message is a parser game. This game has a walkthrough. So you walkthrough.

The beauty of this game is seeing the story unfold and seeing the guts and edges of the parser. The world it paints is beautiful. When it came out, it was very controversial, but since the Twine revolution, I believe this game can be better appreciated. In facta, the author has moved on to Twine, making great games like Solarium.

Like I said, this is one of the games that drew me into IF and established my perceptions of the whole genre, together with Curses! and Not Just An Ordinary Ballerina.

- Aryore, December 13, 2015

- AADA7A, September 22, 2012

- Sam Kabo Ashwell (Seattle), April 4, 2012

What just happened?, October 20, 2011
by Ron Newcomb (Seattle)
Seriously, I've made it to the end of the game, and didn't understand a blessed thing other than the parser is supposed to be someone writing a letter to you. I think. The title leads me to believe that the game is in-jokey, that you have to be familiar with particular other works of interactive fiction to even approach this one.

At least the walkthrough is in-game, so you needn't feel guilty about using it. A lot.

It's a testament to the quality of the writing (and that walkthrough) I made it to the end. The game has a definite voice, almost conversational in its informality, which is refreshing. And it doesn't expect you to inspect the setting a great deal.

I just wish I got an ending that made sense.

- Mr. Patient (Saint Paul, Minn.), August 12, 2011