Play online
Competition version

The Mouse

by Naomi Z (as Norbez) profile

Better get home quick if you don't want to get hurt, Evelyn Grey.

**This game contains mature language, alcohol, abuse, and a brief scene of violence. Player discretion is advised.**

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
TUID: 9qn2v3wws45qpzth

41st Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
Part of the challenge in presenting an abusive relationship is in answering the question of why the abused doesn't just leave or do something about it. It's very easy, when you're on the outside, to propose solutions; but I think the game does a pretty good job of illustrating the mental and social bondage our heroine is in. It's still easy, as an outsider, to pick the "right" answers to all the choices, but at the same time the progress along those choices is believably described, and we still get an idea of how difficult it all could be.

IF as visual novel., October 26, 2016
by Owlor (Sweden)
I'd like to commend the use of art here. It is simple and not very anatomical but that's FINE. I think it adds to the story, giving a warm, emphatic sense to the world. I think a mistake people sometimes do, both when judging their own art and when judging others in illustrated mediums is that they judge the art separate from the writing, when visual art intended to be presented on its own and illustrations are trying to accomplish very different things.

So yes, the art is fine, I like having it there. Simple styles has its own challenges and aren't necessarily "easier" than more complex art. I am not as keen on the music, though. I prefer not having having music in IF, but the game has a pretty clear visual novel-influence, that's the sense from some of the design choices: A long, mostly linear intro, a few choices at key moments that shape the story, a save function with more slots than seems strictly necessary, and of course, the use of art and music.

I enjoyed it a lot and I very much recommend it. It may not blow anyone away, but there's a certain thing that I like in stories that I can't quite articulate, and this is more or less doing that thing.

static fiction with bad fonts, sketches and possibly sound effects or music, October 26, 2016
by namekuseijin (anywhere but home)
I don't play IF with sound on, so I wouldn't know. Presentation is terrible with horrible cyan fonts over a background the color of dry blood.

Not IF: you read (bad) prose and click a link in the bottom to "flip the page". The story is about some boy with bad haircut who wears a shirt reading "fight the system" and doing it by revolting at competent literature by writing shitty literature I didn't care enough to read.

but I did give one more star because I think it's done in good faith and the author is probably just unaware about what IF is about.

If you enjoyed The Mouse...