WiR1.zblorb

IFID: 9805857A-5A1F-4137-B7C9-B0E15B92188A
TUID: 9i30k6shg9ccnngm

*A lunchtime game*, September 2, 2008
by Maze (Rome, Italy)
As the author says, this is a lunchtime game. Easy and brief: just some 15 minutes to reach the end (though it doesn't really *end*, cause 4 more episodes are coming - supposedly).
Manhattan, 1954. A dog starts pestering both you than an unknown girl. The matter is: that dog is not much doggy-like. As the cover art suggests, it seems that your turn to deal with aliens has arrived.

Judging from this first chapter, the story is nice and humorous, though somehow plain, and ends with an opening for more interesting episodes (and also for new peaks of chauvinism to come: that's fairly due to the chauvinist decade where this game is set, though I personally disliked that - but maybe a feminist revenge is ready to strike). Being a lunchtime game, the author doesn't want to cause you any stress: only a couple of very easy puzzles (imagine otherwise: you get frustrated by your precious lunchtime gaming, you go back to work, and all you want to do is to kick your colleagues/friends/anybody, just to see if they too are wearing a V.I.T.A.T.T.O.* armor). The drawback is that you really don't feel much involved: this looks too much as a linear tale where, at a certain point, you have to solve something to go on (and maybe it would indeed work better as a regular tale, without any interaction inside).
Anyway, as a lunchtime game this is nice. And the light and well crafted tone will surely cause many a satisfied smile.

*Violence Isn't The Answer To This One

A short, mildly puzzly game about aliens, June 9, 2016
This game was the first in a planned series of five small games that were intended to be a gentle introduction to If.

The writing and pacing are excellent, with smooth scene changes.

It took me a while to understand the core mechanic of the first scene, but once I figured it out the rest of the game went smoothly.

The game is a sort of a mix between early 1900's-1950's American culture and a sort of gentlemanly version of the MIB.

The game was enjoyable overall.

If you enjoyed When in Rome 1: Accounting for Taste...

People who like When in Rome 1: Accounting for Taste also gave high ratings to these games:

Tales of the Traveling Swordsman, by Mike Snyder
You are the traveling swordsman; the strong and silent stranger; the wandering vanquisher of villainy. Damsels swoon for you. Good men respect and envy you. Scoundrels learn to fear you. Even so, you are but a rumor throughout the land....

Bronze, by Emily Short
When the seventh day comes and it is time for you to return to the castle in the forest, your sisters cling to your sleeves.

Darkiss! Wrath of the Vampire - Chapter 2: Journey to Hell, by Marco Vallarino
Ovranilla: a gloomy land full of traps. And wicked monsters. Carmilla, Millarca and Mircalla: the priestesses of the god Valmar, waiting for you in the devil's hole. Welcome back, Martin Voigt. Will hell be bad enough to stop you?

The following polls include votes for When in Rome 1: Accounting for Taste:

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

Solved without Hints by joncgoodwin
I'm very interested in hearing truthful accounts of at least somewhat difficult games (or games that don't solve themselves at least) solved completely without recourse to hints, walkthroughs, etc.

Multi-Part Games by Bloodsong
I was wondering just how many games out there, either completely text based, or text-adventure hybrids, are out there that involve a story line over the course of several games. I know for sure of the Sorcerer trilogy from Infocom...any...

This is version 9 of this page, edited by Shin on 23 October 2016 at 1:48pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item