MattWeiner.net download

Fallout Shelter

by Marshal Tenner Winter (as Histroy Gloam) profile

"Screw the world!" you said to yourself as you slammed shut the hatch door. You leave behind a tenure at the local college, an estranged ex-wife, and nothing but contempt for a town that basically shunned you.

You told your neighbors you were going on an extended vacation and moved into your. . .
Fallout Shelter

A ShuffleComp 2014 entry.

First Publication Date: May 13, 2014
IFID: CF686E89-BC4B-49BF-9D16-215DA7EE4016
TUID: 98h95pbbpidt4d12

Entrant - ShuffleComp 2014

Close Encounters of the Verbed Kind, May 27, 2014
by Mostly Useless (Leicester, UK)
Fallout Shelter is too brief to review without spoilers, and if I tagged them all the review wouldn't make any sense, so *SPOILER ALERT*.

Maybe it's because I've watched five seasons of the X-Files in the last four weeks, but it was refreshing to find in Fallout Shelter a brief, humorous and uncomplicated sci-fi story. Perhaps it is for the same reason I am willing to overlook the protagonist's Duchovny-esque lack of emotion upon discovering an underground UFO and its little green occupant.

The game is faintly puzzly, and in my opinion its challenges, while simple, are somewhat unfairly implemented at points (Spoiler - click to show)(searching the alcoves, Mister Gloam, if that is your real name (I know, it isn't), means searching *all* of the alcoves), but the map is confined to the point where you'll only spend a few minutes at most wandering around to see if you've missed something.

There's not a huge amount to say about the plot because there isn't very much of it; there are plenty of humorous touches, however, and a particularly juvenile chuckle (for me, at least) upon discovering the losing ending (Spoiler - click to show)(to clarify, while the winning ending isn't very 'winning-ish', there is another more 'losing-ish' ending which involves, ahem, probing).

If you enjoyed Fallout Shelter...

People who like Fallout Shelter also gave high ratings to these games:

Toby's Nose, by Chandler Groover
A murder most foul has been committed and Sherlock Holmes is on the case. You are his dog.

The Bibliophile, by Marshal Tenner Winter
“Azathoth is a cosmic horror; a force outside of known physics, Higgins.” Doctor Coffey explains, “It is the embodiment of chaos and destruction and now Dennison has found a way to bring this nightmare to earth; to destroy everything we...

Spider and Web, by Andrew Plotkin
A vacation in our lovely country! See the ethnic charms of the countryside, the historic grandeur of the capital city. Taste our traditional cuisine; smell the flowers of the Old Tree. And all without leaving your own armchair! But all...

The following polls include votes for Fallout Shelter:

Good sci-fi games by IFDent
I'm looking for a good science fiction game (sci-fi game) for example, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Infocom. Can't get enough sci-fi text adventures.

This is version 7 of this page, edited by Marshal Tenner Winter on 28 June 2015 at 10:28pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item