Download the Album
Contains Dinner Bell.zblorb
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter with Blorb support - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Walkthrough
by David Welbourn
Clash of the Type-Ins Episode 2: Dinner Bell
In this podcast, Ryan Veeder plays Dinner Bell while Jenni Polodna narrates.

Dinner Bell

by Jenni Polodna

Episode 9 of Apollo 18 Tribute Album
Humor
2012

You are the involuntary and very hungry test subject of a semi-anthropomorphized dog in a labcoat who wants you to find all sixteen food items mentioned in They Might Be Giants' song Dinner Bell, which have been hidden in a near-perfect replica of your grandmother's kitchen. If you're very good, you might be allowed to eat.

First Publication Date: March 25, 2012
IFID: D5E31ED4-4583-4C85-82CA-D7D8D3CB23EE
TUID: 94vyohlxpwgwwl39

Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Puzzles - 2012 XYZZY Awards

Surreal, in a good way, April 11, 2012
If you like escape the room puzzle games and you didn't get enough of Dr. Sliss in Rogue of the Multiverse, this game is for you.

According to the odd premise, you're the a subject in a pavlovian test being run by a dog, and must perform tasks meeting your training requirements. The tasks in question mostly require thorough searching and obedience to the game's not-very-subtle precepts, though there are a couple of puzzles that require a bit more sideways thinking to separate the quest objects from their surroundings. (Spoiler - click to show)I particularly enjoyed the solution to finding the one real pear in the bucket of wax pears. Though it's not an extremely long game, there's enough there to keep a player occupied for 45 minutes or so; this would not have been conspicuously undersized as a comp game.

Overall it's a very solidly made and tested piece. I didn't run into any bugs or situations where the parser patently should have been more intelligent, and there were many points where it was possible to refer to objects that were only figuratively present and still get some kind of interesting response.

What really sets this game apart, however, is its particular humor and narrative voice. Most of the game's major objects are things referred to in the They Might Be Giants song of the same name -- enough so that the song could almost serve as a walkthrough for most of the elements. More than that, though, the narration is often self-conscious and fourth-wall-breaking in order to deliver a payload of puns, references, and commentary. Those familiar with Polodna's blog posts and reviews will have a pretty good idea of whether they're likely to enjoy such asides. (I did.)

The game's final point is moderately noteworthy as well. (Spoiler - click to show)After a sequence of puzzles in which the player is railroaded into finding but not eating a series of foodstuffs, the game gives the player a chance to eat some cake; but rewards him with a final point and a different ending for choosing to follow his accustomed conditioning and setting the cake aside instead of eating it. It would probably be a stretch to claim that this is a serious commentary on agency and player conditioning, but it was a more memorable outcome than I had expected.

technically wobbly, undeniably original, June 9, 2017
For a game made in 2012, Dinner Bell is surprisingly underimplemented (a lot of synonyms weren't recognized, and I was especially surprised when (Spoiler - click to show)the message blocking interaction with the candles didn't change while I was wearing the oven mitt). But in terms of atmosphere I think it mostly accomplished what it set out to do. That atmosphere - gross and disturbing, leavened in appropriate measure by "zany" humor - is one that I don't think I've ever seen attempted before. So props for that.

And, hey, it was a fun game.

An amusing one-room food game, August 6, 2015
In this short one-room game, you reverse the roles of Pavlov and his dogs by being the subject of experiments by dogs.

Your goal is to correctly find all of the food in the room. This requires varying amounts of ingenuity. Some of the puzzles are 'leap of intuition' puzzles.

As others have noted, the writing is the strongest point of the game. The strange mix of obedience and resentment makes for a funny game with a sad undertone.

The game has enough easy puzzles mixed in with the hard to let beginners get pretty far without consulting a guide.

If you enjoyed Dinner Bell...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Dinner Bell, or gave both high ratings:

Rogue of the Multiverse, by C.E.J. Pacian
Congratulations, convict 76954! You have been selected for scientific experimentation! You will be matter-transmitted to exotic non-Treaty worlds - where opportunities abound to take in fantastic sights and mingle with colourful locals!

Space Adventure Laika, by Ms. Tea
Space Adventure Laika is a Twine game about a small dog who is going to die.

EGYPTIAN WALKING SIMULATOR, by Jason Dyer
Using Greg Hassett's 1978 game King Tut's Tomb as a base, an art experiment of sort is laid upon the same locations and items.

Dinner Bell appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Games for Cindy by Matt Bates
Games that I would love to share with you.

Apollo 18+20 by Teaspoon
Interactive fiction games, with one game per track on the album Apollo 18 by They Might Be Giants. The regular tracks are generally short games. The Fingertips tracks are one-move games (however the authors interpreted that). The games...

Games that made me smile by MathBrush
I wanted to do a list of comedy games, but I think people rarely think "I want to play a comedy game"; to me, the phrase brings up some kind of jokey, goofy game, like many of the poorly made Twine games that people make now. Instead,...

The following polls include votes for Dinner Bell:

Best games of the last 12-18 months? by Tobi Tesuji
I haven't looked at any new games since more than one year. So, what did I miss? What are the best/most interesting games of the last 12-18 months?

One Room Non-Escape Games by tggdan3
I'm looking for a one room game, where the purpose is NOT to escape that one room. (Eliminating games such as Enlightenment, Suveh Nux, 69,105 keys, etc). I'm not sure if there even ARE many such games, but I would be interested in...

One room games by cpuguy
I would like to know what one room games are available. I enjoyed the acorn court, and am looking for more similar games.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Teaspoon on 27 March 2016 at 10:24am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item