Feu de Joie (Session 1): cathedral

by Alan DeNiro profile

Episode 1 of Feu de Joie
epistolary

A freelance QA specialist has started archiving an unusual project online that he has been working on. A mysterious company named BUCOLIC ehf, a "digital literature publisher", is developing an interactive version of Lord Dunsany's collection of essays about World War One, Unhappy, Far-Off Things. (Lord Dunsany is probably best known as the fantasist who was an early influence on Lovecraft.) Each essay in the collection is being tested as a "Session." But something is not quite right with the first one.

A work of serialized interactive fiction.

First Publication Date: March 13, 2015
License: Creative Commons
TUID: 8h3zifjeldd394ru

Inventive and unsettling, May 10, 2015
by Andrew Watt (Los Angeles, California)
The reader experience of Feu de Joie is that of browsing an online archive, and the first passages are appropriately dry. The testerís helpful notes become more confused and uncomfortable as the material gets weirder. To generate that weirdness, DeNiro inventively exploits Twineís roots in web design. The artless presentation of the clientís work makes them seem incompetent (and non-threatening), so when text blurs, fades, and becomes unaccountably janky, itís surprisingly disturbing.

I enjoyed the contrast between Dunsany's cultivated prose and the testerís more conversational notes (the novel House of Leaves comes to mind). Itís amusing at first, but becomes unsettling when the text seems to return the tester's gaze. The testerís a smart guy, but I worried for him, as I would for a horror movie character (ďDonít open that door!Ē), and I fear that something terrible is in store for him.

Do read the testerís first letter to Martha before beginning Session 1. It establishes who he is and whatís at stake for him. This first episode is brief but involving, and teases at unsettling developments to come. An intriguing story, and imaginatively designed.

Disclaimer: I recently pledged to support Feu de Joie on Patreon.

Twine game with unusual format and interesting use of Twitter, May 10, 2015
This game contains excellent writing, but that is easy, because more than half of the text comes from the writings of Lord Dunsany, a fantasy writer predating Tolkien and Lovecraft. The writings chosen are about the world wars; it may have been picked as something "dry", but I was actually very interested in the text.

The material surrounding the text is somewhat less well written, relying on some stock ideas common in the 2010's. The visual format is very interesting, trying to mimic a folder of html files (well, I guess it really is a folder of html files; isn't everything?), and then incorporating more and more material.

There are some parts where it is difficult to read due to (Spoiler - click to show)every letter being turned around. It was a little frustrating.

The game incorporates twitter in a fun way; unfortunately, I did not want to use my twitter account (due to it being very public), and I did not want to start a new account, so I didn't get to try it out.

If you enjoyed Feu de Joie (Session 1): cathedral...

People who like Feu de Joie (Session 1): cathedral also gave high ratings to these games:

IFDB Spelunking, by Joey Jones
In the depths of the interactive fiction database strange games lurk!

Beet the Devil, by Carolyn VanEseltine
Your dog is gone. She must be brought. You have a beet (and some other vegetables).

Divis Mortis, by Lynnea Dally
The infection has spread. They are coming.

Feu de Joie (Session 1): cathedral appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best of 2015 (pre-IF Comp) by MathBrush
These are my favorite games that have been released this year so far. I'm sure I've missed some good ones. I'm also including some I haven't yet played. PLEASE comment if you think any other games belong on this list.

The following polls include votes for Feu de Joie (Session 1): cathedral:

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible multimedia uses of 2015 by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
This is for suggesting games released in 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Use of Multimedia in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not...

School of Chaos Creepypasta's by StrawberryPie1
I'm looking for realistic gaming stories that include creepypasta

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible innovation uses of 2015 by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
This is for suggesting games released in 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Use of Innovation in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by CMG on 10 May 2015 at 11:09am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item