Zipped game file
Zipped file containing all Petite Mort entries to ECTOCOMP 2016

The Curious Incident at Blackrock Township

by Bitter Karella

The incident began in 1705 at Blackrock Township in the Province of Massachusetts Bay in the house of the Rev. Steadfast Hopkins.

After evenmeal, the reverend's daughter fell into a violent fit.

When Ezola Midnight is accused of causing the fits with witchcraft, her responses will determine her fate. Will she be hanged as a witch? Or will she go free?

This is a Twine game that placed 8th place out of 16 in ECTOCOMP 2016.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2016
TUID: 8ffkew39abmgnhkx

8th Place, La Petite Mort - EctoComp 2016

Short, powerful witch trial story, but feels like it's missing something, September 1, 2017
(Disclosure: I participated in EctoComp 2016.)

The Curious Incident at Blackrock Township is a short Twine story about a witch trial in colonial North America, told entirely through snippets from contemporary and later documents.

Historical fiction seems to be a comparatively rare genre in IF, which makes me all the happier when I find a game that lets me immerse myself in an alien time period. Witch trials are a concept that's hard to screw up when it comes to good drama, and I'm always a fan of the "found document" gimmick, which is used excellently here.

I'm not a historian of 17th century America, but the story feels well-researched. My only major nitpick with the storyline is that (Spoiler - click to show)I find it hard to believe that Ezola would be allowed to go free for denouncing Hopkins; to me it seems more likely that they would both have been executed. That said, again, I'm not an expert on witch trials, and perhaps that has indeed happened. (As a minor nitpick, I also find it hard to believe that a Puritan would name one of his children "Diffidence".)

The documents, both contemporary and those of later historians, are well-written and catch an authentic tone. Some of the 17th century spelling felt hokey to me, even taking into consideration the lack of standardised English spelling in that era. (I'm particularly dubious about the spelling "tortor" for "torture".) However, that seems like something that would be difficult to get right in a 3-hour time span - and, to repeat myself, perhaps some of the weirder spellings come straight out of actual documents from the time.

Ezola's character is nicely sketched in a brief space. The horrors are hinted at in a matter-of-fact way, making them stick in the mind better than any melodrama or explicit gore could have done. While many of the passages just have a single link leading to the next one, there is a reasonable amount of interactivity for such a short story.

For all that, I came away feeling vaguely unsatisfied. It felt like the game simply didn't add much to distinguish itself from other witch-hunt stories. The hints in some endings that (Spoiler - click to show)Ezola was indeed a witch is a twist that has been done before. There is some interesting potential in the concept that the player gets to influence events that are already set down by historians and should thus be immutable, but this isn't really given much emphasis in the text.

Well worth playing: for starters, it's a setting and genre that is relatively rare in IF, with a dark, interesting and well-written (my misgivings about some of the archaic spelling aside) story. At the end of the day, though, it feels like there could have been more meat on it.

Interesting, but not really my cup of tea, September 22, 2018
by Froggy (UK)
Related reviews: Played 2018
I liked the concept and was interested by both the subject matter and the hyperlink format of exploring various story routes, but didn't find it particularly engaging, as it felt a lot more impersonal than the other IF games I've played, which usually put you in one of the character's shoes.

A pseudo-historical witch story, July 1, 2017
This was a speed-IF game for Ectocomp 2016 that is framed as a series of vignettes from historical documents about a witch.

I found the old-style writing charming; searching for one of the main characters (Ezola Midnight) has no hits besides this game, so I assume that this wasn't copied directly from source texts, and that some sort of fusion was going on.

Short, and interesting.

If you enjoyed The Curious Incident at Blackrock Township...

People who like The Curious Incident at Blackrock Township also gave high ratings to these games:

Get Lost!, by S. Woodson
You're a suburban teen, sick of the suburbs. You run away to the land of the fairies, prepared for thrills and danger. Absolutely nothing happens the way you expect. A short Twine game with nine endings, originally commissioned for Now...

The Legend of the Missing Hat, by Adri
A tiny story about four tiny ninjas and a tiny top hat.

Robin & Orchid, by Ryan Veeder and Emily Boegheim
High school journalists spend the night in a church, investigating reports of a ghost.

The following polls include votes for The Curious Incident at Blackrock Township:

Diversity in IF by The Xenographer
Most English-language IF that's set in something resembling the real world seems to deal with vaguely WASP-y types in the US, the UK, Australia, or Canada. What are some works that explore different settings from these and/or characters...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by bitterkarella on 20 April 2018 at 4:04am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item