shrapnel.z5
MS-DOS Application
ACgames.zip
Contains SHRAPNEL.PRC
converted to PalmOS .prc file
Palm OS Application (PalmOS low res devices and later) (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
shrapnel.txt

2000

First Publication Date: February 12, 2000
IFID: ZCODE-1-000212-ECB7
TUID: 82mn545s8bt3csa4

Nominee, Best Story; Nominee, Best Setting; Winner, Best Use of Medium - 2000 XYZZY Awards

8th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time (2011 edition)

23rd Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time (2015 edition)

This is one of those games that you can't say very much about without weakening the impact, but I'll say what I can. The content can be broadly described by two words: violence and gimmicks. Despite some structural allusions to Zork, it's story-driven (or possibly gimmick-driven) with no puzzles, except insofar as the story itself is rather puzzling. Nightmarish, disjointed, short enough to be played at one sitting, does some interesting things technically (including some tricks that I didn't notice until poking around in my second play-through). Far from perfect as a work of art, but I don't count the time spent playing it as wasted.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

IF-Review
Rendered
In short, this is a gimmick game that shouldn't be a gimmick game. It's got a couple of good gimmicks which are fiendishly clever, but the real strength is in the characters.

What this game does best is unsettle you. The whole game has an extremely eerie atmosphere, and half of that is due to the strange plot (or lack of a plot, Iím not sure which.) The other half is due to some Adam Cadre writing, and the strange ignoring of player input. (Christian Baker)

In its own way, then, Shrapnel is quite a story, and that it's less interactive fiction than a forced march isn't a major drawback, in the end. (Duncan Stevens)

Brass Lantern
[Reviews by Iain Merrick, Emily Short and Quentin D. Thompson]

Sorry, do you mind if I put a fragmentation grenade in your mind?, September 4, 2011
by Victor Gijsbers (The Netherlands)
In certain respects, Shrapnel is a lot like Photopia: a distinct lack of freedom for the player, a fragmented narrative. But where Photopia's story is merely told non-chronologically and from different points of view, Shrapnel's story has quite literally been blown apart by a fragmentation grenade.

The strong point of the game is its presentation. Using several fun gimmicks and some surprising twists and turns, Cadre manages to keep us interested in playing the (short) game even when the story doesn't make much sense.

The weak point of the game is that there isn't much of real interest to be found in it. The basic story might have been powerful if it had been expanded upon, but is hardly moving or illuminating it its current fragmented state. And the deus ex machina explanations of the meta-plot that we get at the end do not rise beyond the level of forgettable SF.

Two stars because the story is lazy and the gimmick mostly gimmicky, or three stars because the execution is very good? I'm going with three stars, partly because the game is so streamlined and short that it is worth checking out even if you probably won't be blown away by it. Bad pun very much intended, of course.

Fragments from an explosion, November 11, 2008
by WriterBob (Richmond Hill, Ontario)
"Shrapnel," lives up to its name quite beautifully. This game could not have had any other name. Here is another fine example of a game that stretches traditional IF to its boundaries. Things aren't always as they appear.

There were no instances of "guess-the-verb," nor any traditional puzzles. There are no puzzles in the traditional sense. For the most part, the player/character wanders through the game as an observer (in a very literal sense) until the climax is reached.

And that is why I could not give this game a higher rating. As enjoyable as it was, this game really flowed on rails, taking the player from one scene to the next smoothly and easily with minimal interaction.

All in all, this brief game is a pleasure to play, and was executed skillfully. It would perhaps be a good game for newcomers to IF to understand what the medium has to offer.

Not My Favorite, May 26, 2010
by tggdan3 (Michigan)
Okay, it's hard to say much without giving away the story but...

First of all, you are in a small area similar to Zork's white house. And you get killed. Then you restart and get killed a different way. And so forth.

One of my big complaints in this one is the lack of interactivity. There are 4 or 5 rooms you just wander around in until some plot happens. The big gimmick here is the way the game interprets things (Spoiler - click to show) Such as forcing you to RESTART when given the quit or restart options on death

I am a big fan of Cadre's other games, to the point where I am now seeking out his other works to play them. This one didn't strike me, however. There was a lot of info dump at the end, and little interactivity.

What was interesting was the choice of medium. For the style of story he was writing, he had 2 choices: IF, or Short Film (in a memento style). The use of IF was daring here, and he is definately one to experiment with his IF styles, and for that I give him credit. This one, I just didn't feel. Even photopia, with its limited choices, gave the illusion of freedom, and I-0 seemed way open, with multiple branches to the ending. With this one, most of the game was pressing the space bar to advance the text, and that wasn't what I was looking for with the IF.

Still, if you're a fan of the story- the story itself is fairly interesting.

If you enjoyed Shrapnel...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Shrapnel, or gave both high ratings:

rendition, by nespresso
They caught Abdul during an insurgency in the east. He tried to take out a regiment with some home-made explosives strapped to his chest. They didn't explode, so pretty soon the coalition had a real live terrorist in their clutches. But...

Les espions ne meurent jamais, by Hugo Labrande
You, Randolf McHifflin, have managed to capture your archnemesis, the famous English spy James Powers. He's tied up in front of you, and you just have to kill him, by any mean you can find in this room. But be careful, because as they...

Trapped in Time, by Simon Christiansen
A Science Fiction adventure where YOU are the hero!

Shrapnel appears in the following Recommended Lists:

List of games with 'forced input' by dutchmule
This is a list of games which use a specific text effect, which I call "forced input" here (don't know if it has a better name): it's when the game shows you a command prompt, but regardless of what the player types, the command that...

Some interesting games by Atropos

A timeline of some important games for authors by MathBrush
This is a timeline of some highly influential games that used innovative techniques or left a mark on future games. I have not included 2015 games yet because it's hard to know what mark they will leave on the future. It leaves out games...

The following polls include votes for Shrapnel:

Artistic Games by WriterBob
I'm interested in games that take the fiction of IF to new levels. These are not straightforward, plot driven games. Think instead of games that play like poetry, or games that focus on a character's revelation.

Vivid games by Jeff Sonas
I'm looking for games that evoked strong feelings or strong mental images that stayed with you long after you finished the games.

Games centered around a "groundhog day" loop by Merk
Two that come to mind, which I haven't played in years and may be remembering wrong, are Moebius and All Things Devours. Games with fail states, by their nature, fit the bill from a mechanical level, but I'm curious about games where...

This is version 7 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 3 March 2013 at 7:42am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item