Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure

by Seven Submarines

Sacrificed to the sea, a pirate travels to the underwater Kingdom of Atlas to retrieve a magical stone. Along the way, she meets the crown prince and his royal guard.

First Publication Date: April 6, 2018
Development System: Ren'Py
TUID: 7o2mk669xma0jrka

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2018

Less talk, more action, sexy mer-peeps..., April 21, 2018
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
...I appreciated ULTRAMARINE, and though I think I made only two or three actual choices, I got a numbered unsatisfactory ending, so it appears I could go through again and try for another ending using the SKIP function (I didn't bother to save) but I think I can infer the other branches of plot I didn't discover. Though this is listed as a "full length" game - mostly due to the expository water-treading - I felt like I was being somehow hastily brought up to speed on a much more expansive story in a bigger world than shown here. I'd love to see at least some of this happen over some still art or kinetic concept drawings to break up the characters just do-si-do-ing their positions while facing the audience and describing the off-stage action.

A visual novel with combat elements set underwater, April 18, 2018
This was a first for me: a visual novel with RPG elements. I know visual novels are a big field, but I've generally played text-only games.

The art seemed high-quality, but characters would switch positions on the screen at odd times, which was kind of distracting. It was hard for me to distinguish the two male protagonists, who changed expression sometimes when they were talking and sometimes when others were talking.

The overall storyline was interesting, and seemed like part of a larger and well-developed world.

The RPG combat was fun, I don't see that a lot. I was allowed to go into negative MP with the main character, making winning easy.

Overall, I found some of the graphical elements unpolished, but the story very descriptive. The interactivity worked for me, and the combat and some of the decisions made me feel anxious for the characters. Overall, I feel satisfied with my playthrough and don't plan on revisiting the game. So I'm assigning it a score of 3/5.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by CMG on 7 April 2018 at 8:51am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item