Cactus Blue Motel

by Astrid Dalmady profile

Previous | << 1 2 3 >> | Next | Show All

Welcome to the Cactus Blue Motel: you wont ever want to leave!, July 15, 2018
Please bear with me as this is my first review ever!

Cactus Blue Motel feels a bit like a "walking game" (Dear Esther or Edith Finch). And as such, it is pretty easy. BUT that doesn't mean it isn't fun or engaging. It avoids soooo many pitfalls common to these types of games. Dalmady manages to paint a vibrant world without being overly verbose. More specifically, I feel that Dalmady manages to walk that fine line between describing the world of the Cactus Blue Motel and giving us as players something to do. Finally, (without giving away too many spoilers) Dalmady inserts so many symbolic characters and objects that you cannot help but to "get the point(s)" of the story eventually.

The dialogue is fine as well, but God help all budding Interactive Fiction writers if Dalmady ever studies script writing!

I do sort of wish some of my choices had a bit more of an impact on the game world, but really this is a minor complaint in what otherwise is a fantastic game.

- Karl Ove Hufthammer (Bergen, Norway), July 13, 2018

Not much of a game, exquisitely written, July 12, 2018

by f-a
I encourage you to play this Twine: despite being quite light on the "gaming" part, it is expertly written and touching.

The game sports "multiple ending", but I was satisfied with just one walkthrough.

It is quite short (say: half an hour to an hour).

A Very High Recommendation From A Die-Hard Parser Guy, July 12, 2018
I'm a parser guy. I once believed that I'd never be able to give five stars to a Twine game for various parser-bias reasons. Then I played Cactus Blue Motel. And then I subsequently redefined my IF schema. Intriguing, Engaging, Inspiring, Thought Provoking. Life-Changing? Perhaps. This is an interactive story; this is a game; this is literature; this is art. Do yourself a favor and experience it for yourself.

- lavieenmeow, June 20, 2018

- John Ayliff (Vancouver, BC), July 17, 2017

- lastplaneout (Boone, NC), June 22, 2017

- IFforL2 (East Asia), June 13, 2017

A heavily location-based long Twine with excellent styling, May 22, 2017
It took me 209 choices to complete this game on my third playthrough.

This game took third in IfComp 2016, but as of this writing, it has the highest rating and number of ratings on IFDB.

In this game, you arrive at and explore a mysterious old motel with a supernatural flair. The game uses two main types of links: mostly-static location-based links for movement, and then conversation/emotion links for small scenes that play out as you move.

The two kinds of links are very consistent, making for some great gameplay. The styling is also good, with some nice animations and fonts and colors.

- NJ (Ontario), May 19, 2017