Light My Way Home

First Publication Date: May 13, 2014
TUID: 6yfiv4b8agk38rmb

Commended - ShuffleComp 2014

Going Gentle, June 10, 2014
by Sam Kabo Ashwell (Seattle)
Light My Way Home is a simple, evocative little game. The unfolding of exactly what is going on is, I think, important to its emotional arc, so I'll avoid spoilers.

Knowing how to make use of empty space is a big deal in most artistic disciplines. Home is deft in how it employs the gaps often present in games: the dark loneliness of night-time in interstitial urban space, the gaps in recognition and memory, the unbridgeable distance between PC and NPC. It shows rather than tells, and doesn't overshow. It's able to do this without being frustratingly opaque, because the underlying story is quite simple; it is more of a tone piece than a plot or character piece. There is a small knack to interaction, and a little thought is required about how to progress, so the pacing is neither puzzly-slow nor trivially-rapid.

To some extent, it felt akin to a small, moody point-and-click 2D Flash adventure: the single mode of interaction, the genderless NPC who follows your actions rather than being explicitly directed, the atmospheric music and emphasis on lighting.

A melancholic story of longing and loss, May 11, 2016
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: parser, melancholic, Shufflecomp
Light My Way Home is a contemplative Shufflecomp entry set by a hydro corridor, and the landscape is unlikely: metal towers, scrabbly grass, abandoned barns. But in the midst of this comes a simple, lovely story of longing and loss.

Light My Way Home is a lovely sensory experience. The location descriptions are evocative; it features a quiet soundtrack punctuated by the chirping of crickets. This game revolves around a special command, >POWER OBJECT, which allows you to change the environment around you to guide the one NPC and, in so doing, find out more about yourself.

If you enjoyed Light My Way Home...

People who like Light My Way Home also gave high ratings to these games:

Creatures Such As We, by Lynnea Glasser
A dating sim about how humanity connects through art, even out in the vastness of space.

How To Be A Blackbird, by Holly Gramazio
"A game about how to be a blackbird in a city. It takes around 10-15 minutes to play, and is best with sound." --blurb from <http://www.hollygramazio.net/other-games/>

The Domovoi, by Kevin Snow
Your friend, a folk storyteller, has offered to perform her latest work. As her audience, it is your task to advise how her tale should unfold.

The following polls include votes for Light My Way Home:

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

For Your Consideration: Games from 2014 that should be nominated for the XYZZY Awards by Molly
There were a lot of great games released in the past year, and now that the XYZZYs are coming up, it seems like a very good idea to take a poll of all the games from last year people would like to see nominated. The management has asked...

IF with a sense of wonder by blue/green
What interactive fiction would you recommend that evokes a sense of wonder? These could be games that capture wonder or beauty in ordinary things, perhaps by viewing the world through the eyes of a child. Or they could be games that...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 3 June 2015 at 6:07pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item