z-life.z5

Z-Life

by Julian Arnold

Abuses
1996

A nearly non-interactive demonstration of The Game of Life (well, you can quit or restart).
[--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Current Version: Release 3
IFID: ZCODE-3-960121-360B
TUID: 6qb6z8xlrclhifoi

Another Z-Abuse, this one weirder than most. It's billed as an "implementation of Conway's Game of Life," and it essentially consists of a lot of ASCII characters moving around uncontrolled by you. If you're in on that particular joke, by all means check this out.

-- Duncan Stevens

Interesting, I guess, December 27, 2014
Not to my taste, really, but I can't hold my taste against it. It works perfectly well, and some people might enjoy watching it.

Good old times, December 17, 2013
by Simon Deimel (Germany)
I remember something similar that ran on my old Amstrad machine, a public domain version. You could place cells and simulate their culture, based on a mathematic algorithm. Depending on the original pattern that you created, interesting geometries would come to life.
This is basically quite the same process. I regard this as a great example of what is possible with Inform. There is hardly any interactivity, so it is really just a demonstration and not a game. It could have been expanded or some pieces of information added.

Interesting, August 3, 2009
I take it that Duncan Stevens has never heard of Conway's Game of Life. It is truly incredible that someone was able to create this in z code. Well done.

Z-Life on IFDB

Z-Life appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Abuses of the IF engine by mjhayes
Although various interpreters were written to facilitate play and creation of interactive stories, it should be obvious that some people would find ways to write computer games using the various aspects of the interpreters.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 12 March 2008 at 12:09am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item