The Hermit's Secret

by Temple Software

1982

[From the in-game blurb...] A hermit lives somewhere around here, at least that's what the local people say. Rumor has it that he's been guarding something - probably a fortune in gold and jewels - that will make the finder fabulously wealthy. People also say that a lot of adventurers have vanished in this area, never to be seen again.

License: Commercial (Out of Print)
Development System: Custom
Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
TUID: 6kmzb0noeivxbqv0

One of the first IF games I ever played, November 4, 2017
The Hermit's Secret is an early 1980s Colossal Cave knockoff: find the treasures, put them in the right place, magic words, someone who chases you, someone who steals your treasures... but without the originality and atmosphere of Colossal Cave.

The parser is limited, in keeping with its 1980s release date. Some of the puzzles aren't too bad, but at least one of the better ones is lifted almost directly from Colossal Cave.

It's also buggy, but in a strange way. I've played two versions of it, and each had a different major bug that wasn't present in the other version.

This game holds my personal record for longest time to win an IF game. I first played it in 1985, and after a few weeks I was close to being finished with it. But with no InvisiClues and no Internet, I had no way to find out how to solve those last few puzzles. I played it on and off again over the years but never won it. Finally, in about 2004, I was playing through it again and stumbled across the solution to the one puzzle I hadn't figured out yet. I suspect I'll never top 19 years between starting and finally winning an IF game.

The Hermit's Secret probably wasn't bad for its time, but it's not anywhere near Infocom quality. While I feel some nostalgia for it, I can't recommend it except for historical reasons.

The Hermit's Secret on IFDB

The following polls include votes for The Hermit's Secret:

The Most Obscure Commercial IF Game I've Ever Played by Xervosh
I'm hoping to be reminded of some of the obscure little IF games I may have played during the 1980s, but since can't recall. In addition, this poll may get a few more obscure games from the 1980s (or early 90s, or late 70s) listed in the...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Mike Spivey on 4 November 2017 at 12:13pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item