Game File
Requires an ADRIFT version 5 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.

Land of the Mountain King

by Kenneth Pedersen profile

You, the mighty Viking warrior Kral, are walking in the woods looking for prey, when you are suddenly shrouded in a cloud of white smoke. The smoke is too dense to see through, but eventually the smoke clears and you find yourself on a barren plain.

As you turn around, you see an old witch stand before you. "Listen carefully, Kral!" the witch whispers with a hoarse voice.

"I have summoned you here to help me clear this land from the evil mountain king, who lives in his castle up north. The mountain king terrorizes this land, and must die so that peace can be restored around here. If you succeed you will be significantly rewarded.

"You will meet various of his evil guardians on your quest, so take care. Unfortunately I could not bring you here with your weapons, so you will have to make do with what you find around here.

"Good luck!"

With those words, the witch disappears in a puff of white smoke.

Contains random combat and puzzle elements. NOTE: To play, you either need to download ADRIFT 5 from www.adrift.co/downloads or you can run the windows executable game included in the download below.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2017
TUID: 6k97qk3zyuaplyo1

Entrant - 23rd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2017)

Dhakajack

Strategy for this game consists of finding something that you can kill, and which will not kill you first. I will say at least that the game is not cruel you always know your status and can decide whether to press an attack or not. Also, if you get in over your head, you can always flee an encounter, and the opposing monster does not get an attack of opportunity as it might in some table top RPGs.

Xenoglossy
This is a well-constructed little RPG, and it was a nice breather after going through a couple of the more unpolished games above;

A fun compact RPG game written in ADRIFT, with music, November 16, 2017
I helped beta test this game.

This game meets my niche interests well. It is a combat random combat RPG in a fantasy setting, where it's mostly puzzle-based; most monsters are extremely difficult to defeat until you solve another puzzle, than become generally easy. It allows for some variability, though, as you can sequence break or die in an easy fight due to randomness.

I thought this was fun. A couple of times I felt thwarted by not knowing what to do, though.

If you enjoyed Land of the Mountain King...