Will Not Let Me Go

by Stephen Granade profile

Slice of life

Dallas, Texas. 1996. Fred Strickland has Alzheimer's.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2017
Current Version: 1.0.0
TUID: 67r2qc21m5nzexv1

Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Story; Winner - Fred Strickland, Best Individual PC - 2017 XYZZY Awards

4th Place overall; 2nd Place, Miss Congeniality Award - 23rd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2017)

Rock Paper Shotgun
Granade is an old hand at IF — he had already been writing for some years before I turned up on the interactive fiction scene in the late 90s — and much of his work touches on childhood, family, community, and different characters’ perspective on one another. Common Ground (1999) shows the same scenes from the perspective of several different family members, and Child’s Play (2006) is a parser puzzle game that is also a jokey riff on what it’s like to raise toddlers. Will Not Let Me Go carries forward some of the same themes — how do people understand each other, how do they adapt to each other in families and communities — but it’s the work of a more mature and experienced storyteller.

Dhakajack
I have played a number of parser-based games by this author, but this is the first of his works in Twine that I have come across. If this is his first twine work, I would say that he hit the ground running, as the medium is well suited to this story.

Doug's World
My opinion of this piece changed through the playing. Initially, I felt it was too linear. What does it say about Twine that even a game designer with as much experience as Granade can make the player feel as if they're just turning the pages of a book? But the story-telling is powerful enough that I stuck with it and by the mid-point I began to appreciate why Granade had chosen this medium.

L'avventura è l'avventura
The way Stephen Granade used Twine is great: the words sometimes change because Fred struggles to remember, other words are cut … An extraordinary journey into memory, a wonderful work. If we really have to find a con, maybe some passages are too long, but Will Not Let Me Go is just short of a masterpiece.

Catacalypto
Its mix of narrative voice and mechanics that support its story is exactly what I love in narrative design. From the opening indication that the story will remember your place, which fades out until only “remember” lingers, it’s a thoughtful and sometimes painful exploration of Alzheimer’s and dementia.

A masterpiece in Interactive Storytelling, October 24, 2017
by Marco Innocenti (Florence, Italy)
I guess it is always hard for an established author to enter a competition (the IFComp, especially, for several reasons). What will people expect from him/her? What SHOULD we?

It's things like this that... how do they say on Facebook? They "restore my faith in humanity".

Will not let me go is an EMOTIONAL piece, of the kind that didn't resonate with me this much since Photopia --- we all know what I'm talking about.

I don't want to enter into details and dissect this, well, masterpiece, as I don't think I have the right to. I just want to say that this is a Twine game that EXACTLY does what a Twine should do every time: tell a story no regular text-book could.

The way the words change to address a memory problem; the way the game (which is fairly long, all considered) aids us in understanding how long it will be still; the AWESOME, INTERIORIZED, MOVING story it tells. And all of this in such a fantastic, unique and PROFOUND way. This is the craft of a Writer, with the capitalized W.

What to say. Einstein once said that intuition is the best skill of any scientist. I may add that knowing how to f*****g tell a story is probably the second best.

Stephen is a scientist. After this... thing he did, I may very well say he's the Einstein of Interactive Fiction.

A powerful Twine game about dementia, November 16, 2017
I beta tested this game.

Stephen Granade has written a wonderful game here about an old man coping with dementia.

It makes magnificent use of unreliable narrator to depict the disorientation that dementia causes.

It is a fairly long Twine game, but autosaves, and has a nice feature that tells you how long the game has been playing.

Highly recommended.

If you enjoyed Will Not Let Me Go...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Will Not Let Me Go, or gave both high ratings:

Ash, by Lee Grey
Ash is an autobiographical story about the final days of life, and the loss of a parent.

Lowell Prison, by Emily Short
A small conversation piece between you, an inmate of Lowell Prison, and an old man who crouches beside a wide-open gate.

An Earth Turning Slowly, by Mæja Stefánsson
She ran through her list of findings. “We’ve never had one quite like her. The diversity of simultaneous wounds, I mean, in a surviving specimen. There’s this long-standing hand-wave in paleopathology: we assume that multi-wound healing...

Will Not Let Me Go appears in the following Recommended Lists:

IFDB Top 100 by Pegbiter

Great games in a mostly realistic setting by MathBrush
These are games that for the most part don't contain magical elements or futuristic technology. This includes games where there might be magic or futuristic technology, but you don't know until the end. So several of these games do...

Felicity Drake's favorite interactive fiction by Felicity Drake
Personal favorites!

The following polls include votes for Will Not Let Me Go:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible individual NPCs of 2017 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2017 which you think might be worth considering for Best Individual NPC in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Writing of 2017 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2017 which you think might be worth considering for Best Writing in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible individual PCs of 2017 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2017 which you think might be worth considering for Best Individual PC in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. Games not mentioned here will remain eligible. This is not an...

This is version 7 of this page, edited by CMG on 16 November 2017 at 2:45pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item