little

by chandler groover profile

a tiny yarn for ectocomp

First Publication Date: October 30, 2017
TUID: 60mhm9p6w9q1oaau

3rd Place, La Petite Mort (English) - EctoComp 2017

Spinechilling, November 5, 2017
A tiny yarn about a creepy girl, needles, bodies, and an even creepier narrator. Chandler Groover is excellent at creating grotesque fairytales and disconcerting narrative voices, and this piece is no exception. Its barebones narration and interface works well to create the atmosphere, allowing the player to fill in the gaps inevitably with more horrible images than could be depicted. One section reminded me of the party garden sequence from howling dogs, though rather than decadence overload, it gives the piece an added inexorable chill.

A mysterious short horror story about a little, little...girl?, November 5, 2017
This game is confusing; I played it through 3 times. But it's polished, with descriptive writing, had a haunting emotion, and I've already replayed it a few times. So I'm giving 4 stars.

Most of Groover's purposely opaque work is an allusion to some known fairy tale, which provides a framework for understanding the piece. His original stories tend to provide more in the way of explanations.

This piece is a hidden-object fetch quest, with a sort of standing-up-to-bullies theme that reminded me of Andrew Schultz's frequent theme of 'everyone told you you were worthless and now you'll show them'.

I enjoyed the meta-puzzle of trying to piece it all together. It never gelled for me, but that's okay; having some things left unresolved improves the atmosphere.

If you enjoyed little...

People who like little also gave high ratings to these games:

Everything We Do Is Games, by Doug Orleans
A null game, inspired by John Cage's 4′33″.

Not Quite a Sunset - a hypertext opera, by Kyle Rowan
On an orbital space station in a distant star system, Dr. Sara Reyes leads a small team tasked with surveying a planet for potential settlement. A science-fiction story set to an original musical score. Author's Comment: "'Not Quite a...

Coloratura, by Lynnea Glasser
Stolen away by apathetic Blind Ones, your only desire is to return to your Cellarium and the Song of the Universe. They should understand. You shall make them to understand.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by CMG on 3 November 2017 at 9:53pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item