Competition version.
Download files
Index of files and subdirectories to download, including images.

The Queen's Menagerie

by Chandler Groover profile

These beasts won't feed themselves.

A puzzleless exhibition. Ten to fifteen minutes.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
Development System: Texture
TUID: 52qxb0gl1h2xbmq4

15th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
Partaking of Groover is like partaking of some everlasting, continuous feast, each story just another slice of the unending line-up. There is a sense of decadence, of something delectable made from organ meat and fat. Something baroque.

catacalypto
Third person works well here, establishing a voyeuristic distance between reader and keeper thatís complicated by Textureís format of dragging. The platform requires slightly more input than a hyperlink, but less so than even a limited parser, and so seems particularly suited to work that deals with themes of implication, constraint, and guilt.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Though this is not a long piece, individual passages of prose are doing a lot of work. Dark, short, suitable for Gothic tastes, good for 10-15 minutes of play. Probably not for small children.

These Heterogenous Tasks
Itís highly Gothic; the closest comparison I can think of is Mervyn Peake, although the thematics are very much in the same general territory as With Those We Love Alive.

If you enjoyed The Queen's Menagerie...

People who like The Queen's Menagerie also gave high ratings to these games:

Allison and the Cool New Spaceship Body, by Tempe O' Kun, Samuel Pipes
Your name is Allison. You're 10 years old and have a spaceship for a body. When you were just a baby, you were in a really bad accident, so bad it almost killed you. To save you, doctors and an AI put your brain in a special machine that...

I'm Really Sorry About That Thing I Said When I Was Tired and/or Hungry, by Dietrich Squinkifer (Squinky)
"I'm Really Sorry About That Thing I Said When I Was Tired and/or Hungry" is a mostly-autobiographical story of how it was like growing up among several different cultures and not really fitting into any of them.

Relic, by Caelyn Sandel
Psychological horror about an artifact.

The Queen's Menagerie appears in the following Recommended Lists:

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 22 November 2016 at 3:34pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item