Transilience

by Glass Rat Media profile

"Every time I open my eyes, I see that the world has changed.

I'll wake up and it'll be like I'd only dozed off for a while. Like I'd slipped away into a dream during class and no one saw my chin slump down into my chest, or if I'd nodded off during a movie. But sometimes it seems to jump faster, farther, and I don't know how to make it stop."

A re-imagining of Sleeping Beauty.

Content warning for sexual themes.

TUID: 4z1dskw0y6vvhjxi

Interesting take on sleeping beauty, December 14, 2015
by darlarosa
Related reviews: adaptation, fairy tale,
Firstly, this story is well written and an adaptation of the authors short story. It takes you into main characters head very well. This isn't the sort of IF where you have agency, but one where you're following along as she, the protagonist, tells you the story. Even still it achieves this intimacy that makes you feel so close to her. That intimacy is key to understanding how the Sleeping Beauty myth is honestly, and I say this as a girl who loved the Disney version as a child, pretty terrifying. I've read T.L Bodine before and just love her work. She's a great writer though I've never read her adapted story on which this is based.

The surreal nature of the character constantly shifting spaces is an inventive way to toy with an old fairy tale. I loved the idea and most of the execution. However, I found myself constantly lost about details that need to be very clear to the reader so we can follow the protagonist's state and how we should react to the story. It seems like we're constantly jumping within her jumps. By that I was never sure how old the version of her we're following is, or whether their are multiple psyches of hers we're following. The passage about Brittnany threw me for a loop because previously the protagonist sounded like she was at least 14, and quite frankly she gets older as she describes her jumps in ways that sound a bit too mature for someone who has no idea about "kissing" and "babies". I knew about that stuff when I was 12, and I knew girls who has kids at 13 and 14. She may not know the nitty-gritty, but she should have a slightly better picture if she's older than fourteen.

A cold fairy tale and story of identity, February 10, 2016
I found this game to be haunting, especially on the second playthrough months later. You are a young woman who experiences strange jumps, or transilience. You travel between world's when you sleep, and it leaves you disoriented and frightened.

Both worlds deal with unwanted sexual advances or effects, although there is no graphic content. In one world, you are sleeping beauty, and in the other, you are mysteriously pregnant.

Short and well crafted, and recommended.

If you enjoyed Transilience...