The first week is free; continuing costs a few dollars.

Choices: And Their Souls Were Eaten

by Tin Man Games and Felicity Banks profile

Fantasy, Historical

You have a gift. With your gift, the dead are never truly gone.

But what if there is a dark side to your gift? What if there are those who can pervert your talent, and alter the balance of life and death?

Travel across a steampunk 1830s Europe, where metal is magical, giving powers to those who wear it. Learn more about your ancient gift and what it means for you, your family, and humanity. Uncover the nefarious plot to destroy all life... and fight against time to stop your enemy from destroying everything you hold dear.

* * *

The beginning is free, and the rest costs a few dollars (or a LOT of ads if you choose that option on Android).

It’s a subscription story that releases a new section each week. There are between 2 and 7 strands happening at any one time, with both delayed and instant branching.

Some of you are already subscribed to the award-winning “Choices: And the Sun Went Out” (Felicity Banks is a co-writer there). In that case, you’re already subscribed to “Choices: And Their Souls Were Eaten”. (Congratulations!)

On Apple (linked), a subscription to either story gets you a subscription to both.

You can choose to have certain character/s speak to you through your apple watch, if you have one. (That, the music, and the sound effects can all be switched on or off. I like the music off but the sound effects on.)

On Android, you can buy (or earn by watching a LOT of ads) Story Passes, which can be spent on either story.

First Publication Date: September 1, 2016
License: Commercial
Development System: Custom
TUID: 4x8kevhfmh9ikck6

News

Expand all | Add a news item

Life and death and life through binary choices, September 2, 2016
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
Caveat: I was given a review copy of this game, but ended up playing the free public intro instead.

This game incorporates various multimedia effects including sounds, music, some animation and even apple watch interactivity, but I played it on android with the sound turned off.

So I'm just reviewing the graphics and story, and it's a good one. This is my favorite Fwlicity Banks game yet, perhaps because I just finished mistborn and I enjoyed the metal-themed magic vibe and the wilderness survival aspects.

In the free intro to the game, which by itself is quite long, you play as the unwilling holder of a special talent: "eating" souls. What that entails and its implications for you are slowly unraveled.

Your main nemesis at first is a ghastly creatute, a red eyed albino bear. The confrontations with the bear were exciting, and you get a lot of mileage out of the game before the pay/ad wall.

The visual styling is gorgeous. The choices were all binary, and the story 'felt' like the choices didn't matter at first, but I soon found that options that seemed unimportant led to dramatic results; the author must have spent a great deal of time working on the different threads to allow this level of choice.

As a final note, I've given this game 5 stars based on my judging criteria. I've reviewed several of Banks' games by her request, but I haven't been afraid to give less stars when appropriate. This game is polished, descriptive, gave me a real thrill of emotion, and made me want to play more, which are 4 of my 5 criteria. I didn't like the binary choices at first, but it fell into a rhythm that ended up working for me, which is my 5th star.

Intriguing new Choices (CYOA) story, October 20, 2016
I helped beta test an early part of the game.

An intriguing new use of the Choices interface with a well crafted British steampunk + metal magic setting. I'm curious to see how the magic aspect plays out over a longer story, having seen it first in the (recommended!) author's short CYOA fiction After the Flag Fell (http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=htlms3ukhh1mhvp).

The characters are interesting with potential to develop in very different ways in later episodes.

If you enjoyed Choices: And Their Souls Were Eaten...

People who like Choices: And Their Souls Were Eaten also gave high ratings to these games:

Starcross, by Dave Lebling
Starcross, Infocom's science fiction mind-bender, launches you headlong into the year 2186 and the depths of space. And not without good reason, for you are destined to rendezvous with a gargantuan starship from the outer fringes of the...

ANDROMEDA 1983, by Marco Innocenti
You are Ektor Mastiff, a scientist carrying the most important news in the world! Bring it to the Scientific Committee before it's too late! ANDROMEDA 1983 - An Adventure Game by Marco Innocenti is © 1983 by SpaceWhale Software Music by...

Blue Chairs, by Chris Klimas

The following polls include votes for Choices: And Their Souls Were Eaten:

Best in-game music by MathBrush
I'm looking for games with great in-game soundtracks.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Felicity Banks on 31 August 2016 at 5:30am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item