dilly.z5

Trapped in a One-Room Dilly

by Laura Knauth

1998

A one-room game. It's nicely appointed, but...
[--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Current Version: Release 1
IFID: ZCODE-1-980917-1A60
TUID: 4jh66h2nl6sf1x2k

8th Place - 4th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (1998)

An entertaining diversion--you're trapped in a room with a whole slew of complicated objects, and the goal is to get out. Demonstrates some of the possibilities of the one-room approach--there are quite a lot of puzzles, for instance, as objects turn out to have more and more complexities over the course of the game. It's not quite as elegant as it might be--the room feels like an overstuffed attic, crammed with gadgets and toys, and it's easy to lose things in the shuffle--but it's still nicely done. One amusing touch: a bookshelf filled with books with plots that explain the one-room premise (e.g., alien abduction, mad scientist, etc.).

-- Duncan Stevens

OK, probably the first thing I should confess is that I'm not hip enough to know what a "dilly" is. My handy dictionary suggests that it means "something remarkable of its kind" -- their example is "a dilly of a movie." Somehow I don't think that's what's meant here. So, judging from context, I'm going to assume that "dilly" means "relatively enjoyable puzzle game with good coding and writing, but a few guess-the-verb problems and sometimes not enough synonyms implemented." If this is what dilly really means, then Trapped In A One-Room Dilly has the most accurate title of any game in the 1998 competition.

An early one room game that is pure puzzlefest, February 3, 2016
While not the first, this game was near the beginning of the wave of one room games. It was entered into IFCOMP the same year as Enlightenment, another popular one room game.

This game is just pure puzzle fest. Solve a puzzle and another pops out. There is a lights out type puzzle with pegs, a mathematical dart board, hidden objects, codes, etc. It's similar to the more recent Grandma Bethlindas puzzlebox.

Recommended for pure puzzle fans.

Excellent Puzzles! Loved It!, January 20, 2016
by Deboriole (San Diego, CA)
This game is on my all-time favorites list now. It is the epitome of the type of game I like: escaping from a single room. The puzzles are great and there is enough humor to make it entertaining throughout. The only advice I would give someone who hasn't played before: Don't assume you have thoroughly examined something if you feel there is more to the object than you already know — because you are probably right. A minor spoiler showing what I mean: (Spoiler - click to show)I got stuck in one place because I typed "listen" assuming it would include all of the sounds in the room, but what I really had to do was listen to something in particular. I recommend this game to puzzlers everywhere!

If you enjoyed Trapped in a One-Room Dilly...

People who like Trapped in a One-Room Dilly also gave high ratings to these games:

Violet, by Jeremy Freese
Calm down. All you have to do is write a thousand words and everything will be fine. And you have all day, except it's already noon. [blurb from IF Comp 2008]

Adventure, by William Crowther and Donald Woods

Bill Belichick Offseason Simulator, by Jon Bois
This must be emphasized from the outset: The Bill Belichick Offseason Simulator is a tool, and not a toy. It does not exist to amuse you. It is meant to train prospective football coaches in the art and science of managing the travails...

The following polls include votes for Trapped in a One-Room Dilly:

One room games by cpuguy
I would like to know what one room games are available. I enjoyed the acorn court, and am looking for more similar games.

Great Escapes by JonathanCR
Everyone knows that "escape the room" games and puzzles are an IF cliché. But which are the best examples of this classic genre?

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Paul O'Brian on 12 May 2008 at 5:28pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item