Story file
Right-click and "Save As..." to download

Dwelling: Insomnia

by 0vr profile

A horror text-adventure wherein you are woken in the middle of the night by a knock on the front door to your apartment. Do you dare answer it?

- Features-
Multiple endings
Disturbing creatures

First Publication Date: October 3, 2014
License: Commercial
TUID: 48t9g1fho3asak2i

Decent, October 5, 2014
This isn't a bad game by any means. It was well-put-together in all technical ways, sufficiently scary, and the mechanic of moving on rather than getting a game over was quite well-implemented and added a lot to the story.

But unfortunately, just being "not bad" doesn't make something GOOD. The writing is filled with too much prose - it was never entirely overbearing, but it felt a little amateur and made me want to roll my eyes rather than be scared. I felt that also, given the aforementioned (Spoiler - click to show)repeating of the night over and over maybe the descriptions of things could have changed more significantly than just the text at the beginning of the night. Felt like I was being TOLD I was sinking into madness without it actually being executed that way. I just ended up skipping over most text in future nights rather than reading every day.. In most game formats, this would be absolutely no trouble (only a minor annoyance) - but with an interactive fiction, the entire point is reading and atmosphere, so it was notable that something COULD HAVE been done here.

But it's a solid effort, and it's worth the ten-fifteen minutes it'll take you to find an end.

If you enjoyed Dwelling: Insomnia...