With Those We Love Alive

- chugblood, November 3, 2015

- BRSanders (Denver, CO), October 3, 2015

- IFforL2 (East Asia), September 9, 2015

Liked it, made me feel and think things, July 3, 2015
by openmedi (Berlin, Germany)
I liked this one very much. There are bunch of reasons, but mostly because of the shared intimacy that comes with drawing on you own skin. I also became very aware how different genders manifest their reality and get manifested (if that makes sense) in very different ways. This leeds to very different ways of talking about our bodys "and using them" for world building. These are all pretty na´ve points, but than again I'm but a na´ve humanů I liked that it was more of an experience than a skill based game. (Spoiler - click to show)And it made me kind of emotional, although the end came a little abrupt.

- Danielle (The Wild West), July 2, 2015

- griftah, May 25, 2015

- chux, May 19, 2015

- Lanternpaw, May 18, 2015

- AngelKurisu, April 26, 2015

Wow, April 22, 2015
by Chris Longhurst (Oxford, UK)
First up, a confession: I'm really bad at high-concept stuff. To me, games are just games and as such I always feel like I'm missing something important with Porpentine's work - some point of contact that other people have and I don't.

But even then...

Even when I'm not getting the full experience -- playing, as it were, with a towel wrapped around my head...

With Those We Love Alive is a really, really good game.

The writing is brilliant. The world just the right level of underspecified to sink its claws into your imagination. Crammed with clever and interesting detail, but delivered with that sparse Porpentine style. And you can play through it in an hour.

I recommend this game to everyone. Even if you're not normally a fan of Porpentine's games, or find them inaccessible, or just too weird to play... give this one a shot.

- Doug Orleans (Somerville, MA, USA), April 9, 2015