Mikayla's Phone

by Mikayla Corolik

First Publication Date: October 1, 2017
Development System: Custom
TUID: 40o4dirjymjlrcbm

67th Place - 23rd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2017)

Good game, if clichéd, July 20, 2018
I liked the interface and overall design of the game, which were clean and minimalist. The simple fonts and monochrome gradient contributed greatly to presentation. There were however several issues, some of which essentially caused the game to crash (such as when the game froze upon clicking the last note).

In the context of games like 'Whiteout' and 'a normal lost phone', this genre has become more established and less niche, which is something Mikayla's Phone might or might not have recognised with its goal of giving the player as authentic an experience as possible (which could be interpreted as going either way - be it conforming to or deviating from the standard). Nonetheless, I do like the fact that this game was made by a teenager and her dad, which makes the notes and the poetry seem less like a professional construct and more like a transfer of genuine, unaffected experiences.

A tech-savvy game about the end of a young girl's life, November 16, 2017
This game is about a girl named Mikayla, whose phone you find. The game consists of digging though all the apps in the phone to see what her life was like.

I enjoyed the photos (of random things like dogs and writing) and the poetry. There were text notes and voice memos that were, I think, too long for me. They seemed to be there mainly to provide a feeling of reality and background; however, in a storytelling environment, being 'true to life' often makes things too unwieldly. I feel that the purpose of stories is to condense and crystallize reality, and those two parts of the game could have used significant condensing and crystallization.

Overall, it left a good impression on me, especially the ending (which I found by poring through the code).

Mikayla's Phone on IFDB

The following polls include votes for Mikayla's Phone:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Multimedia of 2017 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2017 which you think might be worth considering for Best Use of Multimedia in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by DashT on 4 February 2018 at 8:00pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item