Runs in the browser. Also available on the App Store (for iOS) and Google Play (for Android)
Browser Version
Runs in the browser. Requires support for HTML5 and CSS3.
iOS Version
Juega en línea en Español | Spanish version

A Dark Room

by Michael Townsend

RPG

A Dark Room is a famous text-based indie game made by doublespeakgames, which was inspired by Candy Box, but it's much grimmer in tone, with a stronger plot and a more roguelike-like focus on survival. And it received a number of awards for its nice concept & great design.

How to play:
A Dark Room starts with a few lines of text on a white screen, and what you can do is pressing the “stoke fire” button. When a ragged stranger has come, you keep stoking the fire, the grey progress bar slowly filling itself out again each time to signal when you’ll be able to press the “stoke fire” button again. Then you will find more strangers come, and more resource should be built & managed, and you will begin your own story.

According to The New Yorker, "When A Dark Room was first released on iPhone, at the end of 2013, the game was listed in a number of Best of the Year lists, including those published by Forbes, Paste, and the gaming site, Giant Bomb."

Language: en; zh; es
First Publication Date: June 10, 2013
License: GPL
Development System: Custom
TUID: 3zg1tkj6qhheeka9

每日頭條
純文字冒險手游《小黑屋》安卓上架 用文字編織出黑白經營故事 提及到手機上有哪些純文字冒險遊戲的話,相信不少玩家都比較難想像出來,畢竟這類型遊戲本身就不算多。不過在其之中有一款名為 A Dark Room《小黑屋》的遊戲可以說是這類遊戲的佼佼者,該作沒有一絲畫面,純文字搭配黑白介面頗有氣氛。而這款 2013 年就已經在 iOS 平台上架的遊戲如今時隔三年終於推出安卓版,安卓玩家也能夠體驗遊戲樂趣了。

原文網址:https://kknews.cc/game/rre8pr.html

Fun, but occasionally too slow, November 24, 2015
Fun to play in short bursts or to give you something interesting to do during a long commute. The UI works decently well for mobile, unlike most parser-based IF.

There's not a lot of text or descriptions in the game (by IF standards). There's no graphics. There's just words, numbers and sometimes ASCII symbols. Despite the lack of text content, I myself still able to paint a mental picture of what was occurring. In some ways, the lack of concise description makes this easier and invites you to participate more in immersing yourself in the world.

As far as actual gameplay (without spoiling much), there's a lot of variety in what you do as you progress through the game. Not just in terms of the actions you take in the game, but in how you interact with the game itself. There's lots of downtime, especially as you get further in the game, while you wait for timers to tick down. As a pacing device, I think it works okay, since it gives you long moments of not having to make tough decisions or having to focus too hard on what's going on. However, I still felt a bit bored by the amount of time I was expected to wait for certain things to get done. It's hard to explain this "waiting around" mechanic well - I feel like there's some positive aspects to it that I'm not able to describe. Usually, I have no patience for games that make you do repetitive tasks for long periods of time. However, there's something about the presentation and text-heavy nature of this game that makes this more forgivable and somehow seems to enhance the game. I feel it wouldn't be as substantial or enjoyable if they cut all the timers out.

Anyway, if you're looking for something you can play on your phone that actually works comfortably on such a device, you should give this a try. You can play it whenever you have downtime and, despite the inherently repetitive nature of the "incremental" gameplay, it will still mete out just enough new content and story that you'll probably want to keep playing to see more.

I give this 3 stars because I had fun playing it. However, I had points where I was outright bored by having to sit there and wait for timers to tick down. Also, this isn't really a substantial experience compared to other IF. There's really not a lot of text content here and I felt the story was pretty sparse. More content and variety would've bumped up the rating, for me.

Google Translate is great!, January 17, 2017
by IFforL2 (East Asia)
Related reviews: Easy English
This minimalist idle game is available in lots and lots of languages. Not-so-unfortunately, after reading through the start of the Mandarin and Spanish versions, I must deduce that they were created using Google Translate. (I may be wrong, and I'd gladly eat a humble pie from Michael Townshend.) That's actually not so bad, as this game is one of a handful that make the most of a few short phrases. Julian Churchill's Tiny Text Adventure is another.

If you enjoyed A Dark Room...