Refugee

by Mark C. Marino

Nine refugees embark on an odyssey aboard a raft, exchanging tales of jealous gods and proxy wars while trying to reach safety.

Author's Comment: "The global political forces are playing out in a contemporary battle with ancient echoes. Refugees, the victims of the gods' proxy war, may seem to be in the lowest state of the Earth, but their saga is epic. In this piece, I'm meditating on this global allegory through ancient iconography, asking players to take one of nine iconic positions in an allegory for the fundamental crisis of our global moment."

First Publication Date: April 7, 2017
Development System: Ink
TUID: 3g549ryo910s6o6

Entrant, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2017

A short Ink allegory of the political situation, May 11, 2017
This game was shorter than I though it'd be. You select one person out of 9 on a raft, and you have several turns to choose who to talk to and what to do with rations. I don't believe the choice of character influences much.

This seems to be a weighty political allegory, but I found it difficult to see exactly what the messages were meant to be. There were parts against Nike factories, and parts for supporting refugees, but it seemed like there was much more that I was supposed to see that I just couldn't parse.

Overall, it was entertaining.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by CMG on 8 April 2017 at 11:05am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item