by Gareth Damian Martin

The beach is a strip of heat.

You stand knee deep in the water, facing out to sea.

Familiar voices shimmer behind your head.

You take a breath, and then begin.

A game about swimming, thinking and the distant possibility of escape.

Salt is best experienced with headphones and a keyboard.

Music by Paws Menu.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2017
TUID: 36qgrxe7t98du89r

30th Place - 23rd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2017)

Meditative IF Therapy, October 18, 2017
by Angharade
Related reviews: IF COMP 2017
This felt like swimming. It felt like being alive. I flickered with the screen.

It's not a puzzle to solve, exactly. If you are looking for a parser based "traditional" IF game, look elsewhere. This is more of a thought experiment, or maybe a spirit journey.

I see this game as being similar in feel to For a Change by Dan Schmidt, if only in the minimalist yet evocative writing. It was paced in a way that kept me. I experienced this fully immersed in the experience, and I arrived at the end changed, a different being.

Without giving too much away about the process, I will say that it is in some senses more of a meditative exercise or a fully immersive poem than a game to "win" or lose. This in no way detracts from the fact that this is outstanding, brilliant, and something I will be recommending for clients I work with as part of art or play therapy.

Minimalism that works--my favorite thing.

May speak to some on a more personal level than others. Resonating, and clear as a bell.

A rhythm-game interactive fiction in the magical realism genre, November 16, 2017
This game has you tapping the space bar in rhythm to simulate swimming. As you continue to swim, the game's story progresses. If you stop swimming, you get an alternate version of the story. By progressing between swimming and not swimming, you finish the story.

It's a magical realism story centered on one moment in time, as you swim from one beach to another. I found it effective, but the interactivity wasn't quite what I liked.

If you enjoyed Salt...

People who like Salt also gave high ratings to these games:

Vespers, by Jason Devlin

Choice of Robots, by Kevin Gold
The robots you design will change the world! Will you show them the true meaning of love, or conquer Alaska with your robot army? "Choice of Robots" is an epic 300,000-word interactive sci-fi novel by Kevin Gold, where your choices...

16 Ways to Kill a Vampire at McDonalds, by Abigail Corfman
You're a vampire hunter on your night off. You're getting a manicure, seeing a movie, and eating fast food. But there's a vampire in this McDonalds. If you don't do something, then in one hour it will eat the cashier.

Salt appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Bronxstas favorites by Bronxsta
My favorite games

The following polls include votes for Salt:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Multimedia of 2017 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2017 which you think might be worth considering for Best Use of Multimedia in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by DashT on 4 February 2018 at 7:07pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item