Guttersnipe: The Baleful Backwash

by Bitter Karella

Episode 3 of Guttersnipe
Humor

It's 1929. Incorrigible street urchin Lil' Ragamuffin and her sewer rat pal Percy have been imprisoned in the cellar of the Baleful Backwash speakeasy by dastardly gangsters. Save Percy and evade bootleggers, bluesmen, and bedeviling birds to escape this basement bastille!

First Publication Date: April 6, 2018
Development System: Quest
TUID: 2xpjwqy4953d4o52

Entrant, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2018

A clever puzzle game with lots of character and some bugs in the ointment, May 8, 2018
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
I've enjoyed the full Guttersnipe sequence of games; they generally feature well-thought out puzzles involving an urchin doing ridiculous things and eating junk.

This game puts a spin on things by placing your long-standing help system and narrative device Percy the Rat in confinement.

It features stereotypical Italians as the antagonists, with names like Tony Macaroni. It would be somewhat uncomfortable, except that it's less of a parody of Italians themselves and more of a parody of gangster movies's and novels' parodies of Italians.

There were several bugs in the version that I played, but it made the game more interesting, as I had to type exactly the right command, and it became just another puzzle. But polish and interactivity correspond to two of my stars, which is why I'm giving 3/5.

Edit:

Since my original review, the game has been revised to fix many bugs, so I'm increasing my score to 4/5.

If you enjoyed Guttersnipe: The Baleful Backwash...

People who like Guttersnipe: The Baleful Backwash also gave high ratings to these games:

Hansel et Gretel - La Revanche, by Corax
Incarnez Hansel et, aidé de votre sœur Gretel, affrontez d'impitoyables sorcières au cours d'une histoire sombre et un peu décalée. Énigmes, combats tactiques et gros flingues au rendez-vous !

Attack of the Yeti Robot Zombies, by Øyvind Thorsby

Shipwrecked, by Andrew G. Schneider
A short story of above average adventure in the Endless Desert. Build the journal of a sailor lost in the Sandsea as he searched for both water and a path to publication.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by bitterkarella on 14 April 2018 at 7:27pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item