Ditch Day Drifter

by Michael J. Roberts profile

Collegiate
1990

Go to the game's main page

The first TADS demo game; sparse and simple, but some innovation, February 3, 2016
This game is a demo, showing what TADS can do (back in 1990, before the many updates it has experienced). In that sense, it's somewhat similar to Graham Nelson's Deja Vu and/or Balances, which were meant to show off Inform.

The writing is fairly spare, and most rooms have only one item. Many things are shown off: ability to tie things and thus change exits; chutes leading from one area to another; putting things in an object; NPCs that follow you around; a money system; a funnel; etc.

The storyline was only thinly sketched; you walk around collecting a random series of objects on a college campus for Ditch Day, when seniors pose problems to freshmen.

I haven't played the sequels yet, but I intend to. Deep Space Drifter was an immediate sequel, which had mixed reception. But Return to Ditch Day, written over a decade later to show off TADS 3, was good enough to get a Best Game XYZZY nomination, so I look forward to playing it.

Comments on this review

Previous | << 1 >> | Next

namekuseijin, December 23, 2015 - Reply
one of the very first IF I tried, if not the first. fun for awhile and I think it really covered the basics to me, but I felt it kinda bland and moved on. Then I learned of Inform, and Balances was a much more interesting demo. It was this one that definitely got me hooked ever since.
Previous | << 1 >> | Next