IFComp 2015 Quixe website with background graphic.
IFComp 2015 release.
Guidance
Basic walkthrough.

Midnight. Swordfight.

by Chandler Groover profile

A Folly

A fool receives a challenge from a countess.

Violence. Sex. Profanity. Sausage.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2015
TUID: 2cuwjlvpybg8oaf0

Nominee, Best Game; Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best NPCs; Nominee, Best Individual NPC; Winner, Best Implementation; Nominee, Best Use of Innovation - 2015 XYZZY Awards

3rd Place overall; 1st Place, Miss Congeniality Award - 21st Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2015)

The Breakfast Review
As a breakfast, this is... eggs benedict with goose eggs and a hollandaise sauce you could stand a teaspoon up in; sides of toulouse sausages and honey-glazed bacon; clotted cream on fresh strawberries; Irish coffee with a shot of Swiss chocolate. Very rich, heady stuff.

Emily Short's Interactive Storytelling
I enormously enjoyed this game, and I kept being surprised by the ways it opened out, and the depths it revealed in interaction, and the level of daring in the design. I loved the way the story universe gets weirder and more ridiculous the more you poke at it. I'm sure I didn't find everything there is to find, either. For my tastes, this is Chandler Groover's best IF yet, and probably my personal favorite in a competition full of superb work.

Inverse
The appeal of Midnight. Swordfight. is its superior writing, although its gameplay is much easier than most as well. Even when the plot is confusing, the texture of the game's writing is such that the player feels taken care of.

Old Games Italia
In definitiva, Midnight. Swordfight. di Chandler Groover un divertissement che prende per mano l'avventuriero esortandolo a danzare in un giardino panoramico in cui sia stata edificata una follia dal capriccio di un architetto estroso.

Orestes Drunk and Pylades Fasting
The writing is very sharp - it's what stands out the most about the story on the first few playthroughs. It ranges from whimsical to creepy to baroque... without depending excessively on long passages and text dumps: a sign of good, snappy IF writing.

Renga in Blue
What's most interesting about this structurally is that while the surface is a one-move find-the-endings game like Aisle, the verb list is heavily restricted and the player is allowed to go behind the scenes and tweak the setting. It's nearly in the direction of player authorship, letting them change the story to their liking.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
An intriguing and dreamlike sausage-based farce.

A one-move game combined with an alternative, time-warping reality, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: IF Comp 2015
Midnight, Swordfight was an IFComp 2015 game. This game is a one-move game like Aisle or Rematch, where you are in a duel with a countess and have only limited actions available. Innovatively, these actions are listed in a playscript in your inventory.

Another innovation is that you can enter an alternate reality, where you can travel through and around time to change the setup of the duel.

The world is mysterious and bizarre, with some of the darker parts of Lewis Carroll mixed with David Eddings mixed with all sorts of things. The game is dark, and contains explicit descriptions of sex and intense violence (although the violence is not to the level of, say, One Eye Open). The worksmanship is impeccable.

Another excellent work from Chandler Groover!, January 25, 2016
Yet again, this author astounds me with a total reimagining of the IF navigation model. Yet again, it puts the typical model to shame.
I love how this isn't just gimmick (though that would have been enough) - the gameplay ties into the story and setting absolutely perfectly. The visuals evoked are fantastic, and the entire thing is a shining homage to some of the most iconically bizarre products of the masquerade era. If only it were illustrated accordingly!

If you enjoyed Midnight. Swordfight....

People who like Midnight. Swordfight. also gave high ratings to these games:

I'm Really Sorry About That Thing I Said When I Was Tired and/or Hungry, by Dietrich Squinkifer (Squinky)
"I'm Really Sorry About That Thing I Said When I Was Tired and/or Hungry" is a mostly-autobiographical story of how it was like growing up among several different cultures and not really fitting into any of them.

A Fool's Errand, by J. Sax
You are tasked by your parents to visit a neighbouring town, with younger brother in tow, to exchange produce for medicines. A seemingly simple errand goes awry when you encounter a mysterious stranger on your adventure.

QUIMER-B, by David T. Marchand
A story of robotization and technophobia, about a supercomputer left in charge of the facilities it was developed in.

Midnight. Swordfight. appears in the following Recommended Lists:

IFDB Top 100 by Pegbiter

personal favorites from 2015 by A. Johanna DeNiro
These are probably idiosyncratic, and I haven't hit nearly everything I probably ought to have. While I play catch up I'll hope to add to this list a bit as well. Also, there are a few IF works that are not yet in IFDB that deserve...

The following polls include votes for Midnight. Swordfight.:

Give me a second chance! by verityvirtue
I'm looking for games which work like Bigger Than You Think - where dying isn't the end, where you're given second chances, where your second chances give you gear or skills or knowledge that you need to know to win the game.

Games with non-standard directions by Andrew Schultz
I'm wondering about games (primarily parser) with weird directions beyond NW/SW/SE/NE, up, down or inside/outside. I like the example in the Inform docs (Charles S. Roberts) about hexagonal directions but have no clue how to go about...

Games about Time Travel by Estrong157
more specifically, games with time travel as a gameplay element.

This is version 21 of this page, edited by CMG on 24 May 2016 at 12:24pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item