Game File

Inevitable

by Matthew Pfeiffer

It's hard being an unsuccessful mad scientist. You're spending valuable time making ends meet when you should be bossing around henchmen.

Now that your latest invention, the TIME SCRYER, is complete, nothing can stop your rise to glory.

Inevitable is a tiny one-room escape-your-fate adventure.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2017
TUID: 2c3o8t8l14lzm7ry

60th Place - 23rd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2017)

Very brief subversion of an escape room adventure, November 3, 2017
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: sanguine
You are a maverick (and frankly dangerous) scientist, and, at long last, you have your crowning glory: the time scryer! Allowing you to see into the future - well, ten minutes - it might finally be your way out of obscurity…

The premise - which you might have guessed from the “escape your fate adventure” description - was intriguing. I’d expected something like (Spoiler - click to show)My Angel or The Art of Fugue, which play around with delayed actions, but Inevitable is so short that that never really comes into play. There simply isn’t space for repeated themes, because there’s no space for repetition.

This game’s style is jocular in the way that, say, Peregrine Wade’s work is. Its brevity means that the humour and style never gets overbearing; on the other hand, the payoff could definitely have been more dramatic.

I’ll admit that I’m not fond of the “mad scientist” genre. Works in this genre rarely seem to acknowledge the incremental nature of empirical scientific research. Also: unappreciated brilliance does not a maverick scientist make — rather, it is the lack of accountability; the refusal to document anything; the insistence on unsafe practices. But that has little to do with this game - so that’s all I will say now.

A short one-room game about a mad scientist, November 16, 2017
This is a very short little game where you are trying to get your crazy future-telling device to work.

It's a one-room game, but very little is implemented. I had to decompile the game to figure out how to get the device to work. I had further difficulties with basic commands like going in doors.

The idea isn't bad, but it could be better developed.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by CMG on 16 November 2017 at 11:31am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item